"Three plus one of the best museums in the world." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by breughel

Paris Travel Guide: 22,629 reviews and 55,559 photos

LE LOUVRE - MUSEE D'ORSAY - INVALIDES

The nearness of Paris with Brussels (1.20 h by the Thalys train) the community of language, the frequent professional or cultural visits, the follow-up of the French current events by newspapers or the TV make that Paris is closer to me and therefore less extraordinary than the " Ville Lumière " is for the traveller coming from over the oceans.
I thus leave with the distant traveller, for whom the visit of Paris is often a unique event, the care of expressing on VT his discoveries.

I shall limit (finally I did not!) my comments to the three "major" museums of the French capital:

1° the Louvre which is one of the best if not the best multi department museum in the world.
2° the Museum of Orsay which is worldwide the best museum of paintings from the second half of the 19th century and the beginning of 20th century.
3° the Invalides with the now (2010) completely renovated departments of the Musée de l'Armée plus the Dome with the tomb of Napoleon is from my experience the best museum of military history in the world. Furthermore the Invalides are one of the most beautiful architectural complexes of Paris.

Being not French, I shall not be suspected of chauvinism!

I wrote a first, somewhat derisive, comment about the "Mona Lisa mania" Mona Lisa in the crowd
when there are so many other beautiful things to see in the Louvre Richelieu - Paintings of Northern Schools.
More comments might come ... when I will be in the mood.

I was in the mood at the end of August 2007 and went back to Paris for a 4 days trip with the intention of visiting again Versailles where I hadn't been since 40 years… but it rained so much that I had to forget Versailles and hide like thousands and thousands other tourists in the museums. You can imagine the crowds at Le Louvre, Orsay, Notre-Dame!
My first tips are therefore how to avoid the queues. Le Louvre - Avoiding the Queues, "Buy your ticket in advance"
and "Entrances - Official Rules".

I returned in the summer 2008 and had sunny weather so that I could visit Versailles. Wonderful work of restoration thanks to the French state and an increasing number of sponsors.
Of course I visited or visited again a good number of monuments and museums in Paris.
To my favoured museums I will add, after a third visit, the Musée national du Moyen Age - Cluny. A superb collection see my ForTapestry lovers.

MY FAVOURITE PAINTINGS.

Once one has been visiting on several occasions museums like LE LOUVRE or ORSAY there are certain works which become familiar. They are like good friends one is pleased to meet again.
Those works I want to show on these pages in a complete subjective i.e. sentimental way.

In 2012 I went back for a short trip especially to visit the renovated Musée d'Orsay and felt in love with two paintings I hadn't seen before: "La nuit étoilée sur le Rhône" from Van Gogh and "Jeune Femme Rousse" by Charles Maurin (ref. my review Renovated Musée d'Orsay).

End August 2013 I met Nemorino in Paris and it was a pleasure for me to show him some of my favorite paintings in the Musée d'Orsay and Le Louvre. From his new reviews:
The Richelieu Wing of the Louvre and Touring the Orsay Museum with an expert or
Tapestries at the Louvre
it appears that Don is much more than a connoisseur of operas!

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY IN EUROPE.

I came back with my wife in summer 2009 and 2010. As we spent, thanks to the nice weather, more time outside than on previous visits, we were able to admire the architectural Paris.
This city is just perfect according to our "criteria".
What are these criteria? Too long to explain, just look at my comments. For example Go there in the evening

• Pros:everything
  • Cons:the "banlieues"
  • In a nutshell:Might my last travel be to Paris.
  • Last visit to Paris: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2014

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Hello, Eddy! Your Paris page is really a masterpiece of VT! Thanks for your interesting and useful insights into the life of this grand city!)

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Thank you Victor for your kind comment and all the ratings. I didn't remember I had written so many reviews on this destination!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I must send your Kyoto restaurant tip to my daughter who travels to Paris on business fairly regularly. Big fan of sushi.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Eddy, I'm glad to see that you have updated lots of your fine tips here in the past month.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Eddy, thanks once again for showing me your favorite paintings in the Orsay museum and the Louvre! It was great that we finally met in person. And now I see you have been busy once again adding new tips and updates to your Paris page.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Yes, it would be good if you would write about Van Eyck's "Chancelier Rolin". I don't think I will, because my photo of it is not very good. But I do intend to write about some of the other paintings and tapestries that we saw at the Louvre, as soon as I have time.
      (Of course only a very few of the many we saw on that day!)

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Actually I fear that if we write enthusiast reviews about that wing of Le Louvre next year that department will be as crowded as wing Denon!

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Just in the past month you have added a number of fine new tips and updates to this page. I have added the Maritime Museum and the Richelieu Wing of the Louvre to my list of things to do on one of my next visits to Paris.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Indeed some necessary updating.
      This week (without rain) I'm painting … the façade of my house all white, a real work of art contemporain! Should I write a review?

May 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Even though you have been adding so many tips to your Amsterdam page in the past few weeks, you have still found time to do some updates on your Paris tips.
    It was nice of that magpie to sit still long enough for Monet to paint her picture in the snow.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I don't remember "La Complainte de la Butte" but will look for it on YouTube or DailyMotion.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Eddy, again you have added some fine new tips and made numerous updates just in the last four weeks.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Hello Don,
      Every year I have to update a number of my tips about monuments and museums because opening hours or more often prices have changed plus some new exhibitions.
      It is not a really exciting work but might be useful for those who read the "things to do" tips.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Hello, Eddy! Thanks a lot for your comprehensive page about Paris!

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Again you have made numerous updates and some new tips since I last looked at this page. It’s always interesting to come back and see what you have added.

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Paris