"Three plus one of the best museums in the world." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by breughel
Paris Travel Guide: 22,629 reviews and 55,559 photos
The nearness of Paris with Brussels (1.20 h by the Thalys train) the community of language, the frequent professional or cultural visits, the follow-up of the French current events by newspapers or the TV make that Paris is closer to me and therefore less extraordinary than the " Ville Lumière " is for the traveller coming from over the oceans.
I thus leave with the distant traveller, for whom the visit of Paris is often a unique event, the care of expressing on VT his discoveries.
I shall limit (finally I did not!) my comments to the three "major" museums of the French capital:
1° the Louvre which is one of the best if not the best multi department museum in the world.
2° the Museum of Orsay which is worldwide the best museum of paintings from the second half of the 19th century and the beginning of 20th century.
3° the Invalides with the now (2010) completely renovated departments of the Musée de l'Armée plus the Dome with the tomb of Napoleon is from my experience the best museum of military history in the world. Furthermore the Invalides are one of the most beautiful architectural complexes of Paris.
Being not French, I shall not be suspected of chauvinism!
I wrote a first, somewhat derisive, comment about the "Mona Lisa mania" Mona Lisa in the crowd
when there are so many other beautiful things to see in the Louvre Richelieu - Paintings of Northern Schools.
More comments might come ... when I will be in the mood.
I was in the mood at the end of August 2007 and went back to Paris for a 4 days trip with the intention of visiting again Versailles where I hadn't been since 40 years… but it rained so much that I had to forget Versailles and hide like thousands and thousands other tourists in the museums. You can imagine the crowds at Le Louvre, Orsay, Notre-Dame!
My first tips are therefore how to avoid the queues. Le Louvre - Avoiding the Queues, "Buy your ticket in advance"
and "Entrances - Official Rules".
I returned in the summer 2008 and had sunny weather so that I could visit Versailles. Wonderful work of restoration thanks to the French state and an increasing number of sponsors.
Of course I visited or visited again a good number of monuments and museums in Paris.
To my favoured museums I will add, after a third visit, the Musée national du Moyen Age - Cluny. A superb collection see my ForTapestry lovers.
Once one has been visiting on several occasions museums like LE LOUVRE or ORSAY there are certain works which become familiar. They are like good friends one is pleased to meet again.
Those works I want to show on these pages in a complete subjective i.e. sentimental way.
In 2012 I went back for a short trip especially to visit the renovated Musée d'Orsay and felt in love with two paintings I hadn't seen before: "La nuit étoilée sur le Rhône" from Van Gogh and "Jeune Femme Rousse" by Charles Maurin (ref. my review Renovated Musée d'Orsay).
End August 2013 I met Nemorino in Paris and it was a pleasure for me to show him some of my favorite paintings in the Musée d'Orsay and Le Louvre. From his new reviews:
The Richelieu Wing of the Louvre and Touring the Orsay Museum with an expert or
Tapestries at the Louvre
it appears that Don is much more than a connoisseur of operas!
I came back with my wife in summer 2009 and 2010. As we spent, thanks to the nice weather, more time outside than on previous visits, we were able to admire the architectural Paris.
This city is just perfect according to our "criteria".
What are these criteria? Too long to explain, just look at my comments. For example Go there in the evening
- Cons:the "banlieues"
- In a nutshell:Might my last travel be to Paris.
Vandalization of the Sacré Cœur. This very morning (19/03/2014) - anniversary of the "Commune" - the front of the... more travel advice
La Joconde is an old acquaintance of mine. We met in 1962 when I visited for the first time Le Louvre. There was no... more travel advice
- See All BUY YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE.
- See All Restaurant Musée d'Orsay
- See All Be careful giving your opinion about...
breughel's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 242 Reviews
- 560 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Paris tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vandalization of the Sacré Cœur!"
- Wrote a Review Vandalization of the Sacré Cœur! about Montmartre - Sacré Coeur in Paris Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Ieper Forum "Re: Asking for reviews on the..."
- updated a Paris Travel Page "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- Commented on the Paris travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (560)
Videos in ParisSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 242 reviews, 560 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 147 reviews, 377 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 219 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 65 reviews, 185 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 136 photos
- Venice Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 59 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 46 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues