"THE WEALTH OF TOULOUSE." Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse by breughel
Toulouse Travel Guide: 573 reviews and 1,169 photos
During the 15th and 16th century Toulouse experienced a surge of prosperity. The mild climate and moderate soil proved a perfect combination for the growing of pastel - a plant called Isatis Tinctoria (Woad) from which a rich blue dye was produced.
Once harvested and crushed, pastel provided a paste that was shaped into small balls called "coques” or "cocagnes" From this derived the "le pays de Cocagne" or "the Land of Plenty"
The “pastel” was immensely successful in all the courts of Europe. Enormous fortunes were made in a few years. The newly rich used their wealth, which came from blue, to buy things pink. Toulouse has over 30 pink beautiful Renaissance town mansions that were built by the families that controlled the pastel business.
But an end came to that Golden Age: Indigo, a much less expensive dye, arrived from central and south America, wiping out the pastel trade.
Surprising with blue is that for centuries blue was a colour to be avoided. The ancient Romans associated it with the Barbarians who coloured their bodies blue before they went into battle.
In the 15th century blue began to show up in the stained glass windows of important churches. Statues and paintings of the Virgin Mary that had usually been in red started coming in blue.
Nowadays, the prosperity of Toulouse is coming from the aeronautic industry.
Depuis l'origine de VT votre bonne ville de Toulouse est sans "Tip group editor" c'est à dire le volontaire qui groupe les "tips" par sujet d'intérêt pour leur assurer une meilleure visibilité.
J'ai posé ma candidature avec l'approbation d'un authentique Toulousain Claude "Klod5" qui a beaucoup écrit sur ce site. Comme j'étais le seul candidat, VT m'a pris et j'ai commencé à créer des groupes et rassembler vos "tips" par sujet.
AUCUN RATING NE SERA PERDU dans cette opération.
J'ai constaté une chose remarquable sur ce site VT de Toulouse: c'est un des très rares sites bilingues anglais/français et c'est bien sympa!
Since several years a nice town like Toulouse has no editor (the guy who groups your tips according to their subject).
I started this job and hope to improve the visibility of your tips by opening a number of specific groups.
NO RATINGS ARE LOST.
Breughel new tip group editor.
FOR TAPESTRY AMATEURS. During my visit of the basilica St Etienne I had been intrigued by the numerous tapestries hung... more travel advice
La façade côté Garonne de Notre-Dame de la Daurade avec ses colonnes doriques ressemble plus à un temple de l'antiquité... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Toulouse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TOULOUSE most beautiful city of the world"
- "THE WEALTH OF TOULOUSE."
- "A Premium Visit"
- "The Rose City"
- "Oh Toulouse!"
- "exploring the countryside by bicycle"
- "Five nights in Toulouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toulouse
- Hotels in Toulouse
- Transportation in Toulouse
- Nightlife in Toulouse
- Restaurants in Toulouse
- Shopping in Toulouse
- Warnings and Dangers in Toulouse
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Toulouse
- 23 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Toulouse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toulouse
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Commented on one of breughel's Toulouse travel pages
- updated a Toulouse Travel Page "THE WEALTH OF TOULOUSE."
- Uploaded a Video to Toulouse
- Wrote a Review St Etienne Cathedral Tapisseries - Tapestries about St. Etienne Cathedral in Toulouse Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Etienne Cathedral Tapisseries - Tapestries"
Photos in ToulouseSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 240 reviews, 556 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 371 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 218 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 58 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 132 photos
- Venice Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos
- London Intro, 58 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 58 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 42 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (39)
Latest Toulouse hotel reviews
- Hotel de Paris
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Sofitel Toulouse Centre
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Hotel Jean-Mermoz Toulouse
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Hotel des Arts
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Ambassadeurs (Les)
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Park Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Western Hotel Des Capitouls
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Hotel Castellane
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2013
- Mercure Toulouse Saint Georges
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2011
- Ibis Toulouse Centre
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Riquet
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013
- Raymond IV Grand Hotel Toulouse
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Mercure Toulouse Wilson
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Hotel Icare
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 25, 2013