"TROYES OR TROY" Top 5 Page for this destination Troyes by breughel

Troyes Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 120 photos

No link between Troyes and Troy.

As a poor kid I have been obliged to study Latin and Greek during 6 years, 8 and 5 hours a week, so that when I drove in the town of Troyes, this name linked immediately my neurones to the Homeric Troy of the Iliad and Odyssey, not forgetting Virgil and the Aeneid.

To my deception I found no link between Troyes-en-Champagne and the legendary Troy.

The name of Troyes comes from the name of a Celtic tribe the Tricasses which settled there during the 2nd century BC. Under the Romans the name became Augustobona, later Tricassium and Trecae.

I had expected some mysterious, esoteric link between the legend and the present, something in the style of the "Da Vinci Code"; a Trojan horse hidden under the cathedral, the tomb of Achilles in the crypt of the St Pantaleon church, and descendants from Helene selling andoullette on the market.
Nothing! Nada! Rien! Just a guy called Hector who had found a Trojan horse in his computer.

• Last visit to Troyes: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Apr 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM

This is not strictly true...in some legends the town was named by people who considered their ancestry as originating from the Troy of the Dardanelles(as per Homer and the Illiad) also as per the naming of the French capital. I'm not saying this is true fact but it is 1 legend. I have a vested interest due to my own surname of Troy which originates from the French town of Troyes(1066 and all that) Thanks for your info Breughel.

• Apr 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Thanks Breughel, I understand French just enough to understand your kind reply. 2 years ago I went to Troy in Turkey..a very wonderful region,Mount Ida I loved especially. next month I will travel for the first time to Champagne-Ardenne to visit Troyes..I'm looking forward to this trip very much as I know my family name originates from Troyes in France. The connection with the Illiad is a romantic myth but it does stimulate ones imagination! Thanks for your informative travel blog shared..Adrian

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Hello Adrian,
      I thought you were French. I'm looking forward to read your future reviews on VT about Troyes.
      Bon voyage.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

After reading your page I want to go and see all those lovely old homes!!!

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Thank you for visiting one of my first pages on VT. It seems to me that the first were the best before I started writing about paintings again and again!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM

It's always a joy to read your extensive tips! Love the champagne cork description. Thank you for sharing.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Thank you Jeroen for visiting some of my very first tips on VT. With the crisis we are less drinking Champagne replaced by a Crémant d'Alsace!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I hope I will be able to admire all those places with my own eyes some day....

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM

What a wonderful town, and I especially liked the half timbered houses-but of course the cathedral too. You did a nice job of presenting in both languages.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Hadn't heard of this town, and was wondering the same about "Troy" Enjoyed your photos and tips, it looks a delightful town to visit with its lovely timbered houses.

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Bonsoir Eddy, Merci de (re)passer par mes pages. Je continue à explorer mon environnement. Nous sommes passez par le Nord (Wormhout) Une page tragique de la 2ème guerre! Mais aussi un très beau patrimoine. Amitiés, JP

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Looks like a lovely town, even though it doesn't have any connection to Troy and the Trojan Horse.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 8:37 AM

I liked the mix of architectural styles & the old town streets would be worth a wander for me

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM

great page!

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Badges & Stats in Troyes