"Medieval town of Turckheim." Turckheim by breughel
Turckheim Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 67 photos
At only 6 km from west Colmar the medieval little town of Turckheim (3700 inhabitants) bordered by the river La Fecht is one of the most popular destinations of the Alsatian Wine Route.
We have been here twice and especially liked the area of the so typical Porte de France and the Corps de Garde.
Each night at 22.00 h, from 1/05 till 31/10, a "Veilleur de Nuit" the Night Watchman dressed as a few centuries ago and carrying a halberd and lamp walks through the streets warning the inhabitants to extinguish candles. In older times this was to avoid risks of fire; by now it's for the tourists.
I wondered from where came the name Turckheim?
No links with Turkey; the origin is that of Germanic tribes the Thuringes who invaded the Roman Empire and gave the name Thuringheim.
A nice part of Turckheim is that with the Church St. Anne and the square in front of the church with the town hall. From... more travel advice
At first this pink building was a market hall, then the town hall. In 1575 the building was given to the corporations... more travel advice
breughel's Related Pages
Turckheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval town of Turckheim."
- "The Ancient little town of Turckheim"
- "CHRISTMAS 2003 IN ALSACE"
- "Plan B was Turckheim and it worked very well"
- "Weekend in France..."
- "My Turckheim"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turckheim
- Hotels in Turckheim
- Restaurants in Turckheim
- Shopping in Turckheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turckheim
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Turckheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turckheim
Photos in TurckheimSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 242 reviews, 560 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 146 reviews, 377 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 87 reviews, 219 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 65 reviews, 185 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 90 reviews, 136 photos
- Venice Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 59 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 46 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues