"Niger - A Desert Safari" Top 5 Page for this destination Niger by ajayzener
Niger Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 510 photos
I entered Niger from the Malanville border from the Benin side. One thing that strikes you as soon as you reach there is that, although being an international border this place is quite and deserted. At the delapidated immigration counter the officer takes less than 2 mins to clear you off and you are on your way into Niger crossing the Niger river at the border.
After the border the first city that you cross is Gaya. This although a city is nothing bigger than just a junction and after you cross Gaya what you see on both sides of the road is just dull brown sand with short bushes covered with sand....the road is deserted, and you may find a car every 5 mins , but the road is excellent and straight..you can just cruise ahead. Niamey, the capital city is a 3-4 hr journey from here....
As you start reaching the city of Niamey, the roads get busier. The city is vast with big roads, but there are only few big building at the centre of the city. The city is flat otherwise. The people of Niger are more conservative and traditional compared to the coastal african countries of Benin, Ghana and Togo. The city is brown with hardly any trees and dust striking you all the day long. There is lots to discover in this city. Market places, people and the traditions will intrigue you.
This restaurant is off the rondpoint by the Grand Hotel. You cannot miss this restaurant in the night, as you will see... more travel advice
During the month of Jan, Niger celebrates Tabaski (Bakrid). The festival is marked by sacrifice of a Goat. The residents... more travel advice
ajayzener's Related Pages
Niger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fascinating Niger..."
- "Niger - A Desert Safari"
- "Nigeriennes vs Nigerians"
- "besspalmer's new Niger page"
- "Hrund's Niger Page"
- "DreamWeaver's new Niger page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niger
- Hotels in Niger
- Transportation in Niger
- Nightlife in Niger
- Restaurants in Niger
- Shopping in Niger
- Warnings and Dangers in Niger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niger
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Niger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 32 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- India Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niger Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Ouidah Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos