"Kanyakumari - Land of Legends" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari by ajayzener
Kanniyakumari Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 241 photos
Kanyakumari district is the southern most district of Indian and is in the state of Tamil Nadu. Kanyakumari, is the southern most tip of India. It is here that you can witness the "Sangamam", the meeting of three seas, Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. Kanyakumari is a place worth a visit as it is not olny a sceneic splendour but also of great religious importance to the Hindu religion. There are many events and legends associated with this place and it is considered one among the holy places to be visited.
Kanyakumari was reffered to by the Britishers as Cape Commorin. Now it is called Kanyakumari, and this name is derived from goddess Kanyakumari an avatar (Re-incarnation) of Goddess Parvathy.
According to one of the legends, the demon Banaasuran who wreaked havoc on the inhabitants of this world, was killed by Kanyakumari. Vishnu requested the Gods and Humans to pray to Paarashakti to conquer the demon. Shakti appeared as a young virgin girl at Kanyakumari and commenced penance with the desire of marrying Shiva. The celestial Sage Narada, fixed the midnight hour as the auspicious time for the wedding. When Shiva's procession reached a site by name Vazhukkumpaarai, a rooster crowed, hearlding daybreak, and that Shiva assuming that the auspicious hour was past, returned to Suchindram. The disappointed Goddess decided to spend her life in Kanyakumari as a virgin, and that all the food prepared for the wedding was laid waste and that it turned into the colored sand seen on the southern shores of the subcontinent. The demon Banaasuran upon hearing of Shakti's story proceeded to Kanyakumari to win her hand in marriage by force, and this led to a fierce battle in which he was slain by her.
According to another local myth, Lord Hanuman dropped a piece of earth as he was carrying the mount with the life-saving herb, Mrita Snajivani from the Himalayas to Lanka during the Rama-Ravana war. This chunk of earth is called Marunthuvazh Malai, which is literally translated to "medicine-residing hills". This is said to be the reason for the abundance of unique native plants in the area. The district is home to many practitioners of various branches of ancient India's health tradition, including siddha, ayurvedha, varma kalai.
It is presumed that Swami Vivekananda spent three days in 1892 (25th, 26th and 27th Dec) meditating on this rock. There is also a memorial of Thiruvalluvar, which stands tall next to the vivekananda rock.
There is also the Gandhi Mandapam and the Kamaraja Mandapam which are worth a visit.
- Pros:Beautiful Sunrise and Sunset, The strong wind, The legends, The Holiness
- Cons:Poor Infrastructure
- In a nutshell:The sea meets the sea....
Vattakotai (Circular Fort) is 5 Kms on the Tirunelvelli road from Kanyakumari. This fort is made of granite during the... more travel advice
One thing that you will notice in every street around the corner is the old man sitting with a parrot in the cage.... more travel advice
ajayzener's Related Pages
Kanniyakumari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kanyakumari - Land of Legends"
- "kanyakumari district"
- "Where India meets two Seas and an Ocean !"
- "Visit the Southern Tip of India"
- "Three Seas Meeting"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanniyakumari
- Hotels in Kanniyakumari
- Transportation in Kanniyakumari
- Nightlife in Kanniyakumari
- Restaurants in Kanniyakumari
- Shopping in Kanniyakumari
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanniyakumari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanniyakumari
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Kanniyakumari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanniyakumari
Photos in KanniyakumariSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 32 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- India Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niger Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Ouidah Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos