"Thiruvananthapuram" Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram by ajayzener
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 542 photos
Thiruvananthapuram, also know as Trivandrum is in the western-southern tip of India. It is nearly 55 Kms north of Kanyakumari in the southern state of Kerala, "God's own Country". It is a the administrative capital of Kerala, and a very traditional and conservative city. The city is famous for its beaches like Kovalam, Shankhumugham, Veli & Varkala.
Thiruvananthapuram is an ancient city dating back to 1000 BC it became the capital of Raja of Travancore in 1750. The city gets its name from the word, Thiru-anantha-puram, meaning the city of Anantha or the abode of the sacred Serpent Anantha on which Lord Vishnu, the preserver of the Hindu trinity.
King Marthandavarma, th founder of Travancore made Thiruvananthapuram his capital. After Marthandavarma, it remained the capital of Travancore and after independence, became the capital of State of Travancore-Cochin. In 1956, when Kerala state was formed, Thiruvananthapuram was again chosen as the capital of Kerala. Thiruvananthapuram is famous for the deity at the Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple, nearly 2000 years old.
Trivandrum is a conservative city, yet you will find all the religions in harmony with each other. The city is proud of its all three important religious monuments viz. Padmanabha Swamy Temple, Beemapalli and the Christ King Church, Vettukad.
- In a nutshell:A conservative city in harmony with all the religions.
A 40 Km drive from trivandrum along the MC Road (NH 47) will take you to Kilimanoor. Before reaching the junction turn... more travel advice
A one day trek is organised which has to be booked in advance. The booking cost is 200 Rs per person with a minimum of... more travel advice
ajayzener's Related Pages
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Trivandrum , My present Hometown"
- "Trivandrum : The very relaxed Capital of Kerala"
- "Beachs,Fish,Rain&Umbrella :)))not in order."
- "Thiru-Vananthapuram - Abode of the snake!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thiruvananthapuram
- Hotels in Thiruvananthapuram
- Transportation in Thiruvananthapuram
- Nightlife in Thiruvananthapuram
- Restaurants in Thiruvananthapuram
- Shopping in Thiruvananthapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Thiruvananthapuram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thiruvananthapuram
- 32 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Thiruvananthapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thiruvananthapuram
- Posted in Travel State of Kerala Forum "Re: 1. House boats on Kerala..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hang-out in the local spots.."
- Wrote a Review Hang-out in the local spots.. in Thiruvananthapuram Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Thiruvananthapuram Travelogue "Padmanabhapuram Palace"
- Commented on one of ushar's Thiruvananthapuram travel pages
Photos in ThiruvananthapuramSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 32 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- India Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niger Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Ouidah Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos