"Pearl of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda by ajayzener

Uganda Travel Guide: 1,227 reviews and 3,071 photos

Truly the "PEARL"

My first visit to Uganda in 2004 was filled with a lot of scepticism. The violent past and the insecurity issues as told to me by people from across the globe left me very cautious. To my pleasant surprise Uganda was very much different from what I perceived it to be. My 2 year long stay there was one of the best in Africa. Life has been full of new experiences for me out there. Kampala is a vibrant city and security here is not an issue at all within the city.

Friendly

People in Uganda are a friendly lot. They just love the company of people irrespective of region from where you belong. They are a fun loving bunch and love music and dancing. Night life in Uganda is centered around the bars/pubs/discs and other social gatherings. Natives just love to celebrate life.

Resourceful

The country also has one of the highest literacy rates in Africa and I found people to be intellectual but stil down to earth. The country's land is very fertile and there is a big crop of Coffee, Cocoa and Cotton which adds a lot revenue to the economy. Apart from this fishing & tourism is also one of largest revenue providers. Do not miss to tast the Ugandan Bigisu Coffee and the the matooke (Banana) also the Nile Perch and Tillapia.

A safari is a must for anyone who visits uganda. There are lots of National Parks which one can visit.

• In a nutshell:It is more than just a Pearl !!!
  • Last visit to Uganda: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2006

• Jan 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Thanks so much for putting up all this information -- my husband and I will be in Uganda this May 2008, first for a conference and then 6 days to ourselves. Your tips really help us get an idea of what there is to do/eat/etc! Thanks!

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 9:07 AM

HI Ajay, I wasn't so impressed with Singh restaurant in Mombasa I much preferred the New Chetna (maybe its because I'm a veggie). Saying that I've made a note of a few restaurants you recommend in Kampala that I'll try out next time I'm in UG.

ajayzener Used To Live Here!

ajayzener