"Lhasa" Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa by blueskyjohn
Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,371 photos
Lhasa, the capitol of Tibet. A wonderful city that is starting to lose its appeal to modernization and construction of hotels and malls. Still there is much to see. It is best to spend at least 2-3 days when you arrive in Lhasa due to the altitude. At 12,000 feet above sea level, most people will experience various symptoms of altitude sickness which includes headache, nausea, vomiting and/or ataxia. The only cure for this is descend to a lower altitude or wait.
During this first few days, taking in the main attractions of Tibet is in order. The main attractions being Monasteries. The focal point of Lhasa of course is the Potala, home of the Dali Lama. There are three other important monasteries in Lhasa. The Jokhang is usually referred to as the most important monastery in Tibet.
The other two monasteries are near the outskirts of Lhasa. Sera Monastery is important to see and usually has a lot going on. It's not uncommon to see Monks in Debating Class or Chanting in the Main Hall. The last would be Drepung.
When you are feeling up to it, walking the city is a must. Many people overlook walking the Kora of a Monastery. The easiest two is the Jokhang Kora and the Potala Kora
A bit more ambition, but not by much would be the Sera Kora where it is a little longer and you can see wonderfully carved and painted Buddhas in the rocks along the Kora.
There is much more to do in Lhasa beside visiting monasteries. Shopping the local vendors near Barkhor Square could take nearly an entire day. Another worthwhile adventure is to take the day to explore the old section of Lhasa. As you walk the Jokhang Kora, there are roads entering the area. Back in this area is where to experience the real Tibet and it's people.
This is the preferable way to get to Yungdrungling Monastery. Our driving pulled off the Friendship Highway and parked... more travel advice
Samding can be visited from Lhasa on a long day trip. Most visit when driving from Lhasa to Shigatse. It is constructed... more travel advice
- YUMMMMM, Yak meat!
- See All Finally! Great chocolate cake in Tibet!
- See All Visit the Muslim Quarter
- See All Where they went to!
blueskyjohn's Related Pages
Lhasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lhasa, the pilgrim capital of Tibet"
- "LHASA AT LHAST!"
- "Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims"
- "Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!"
- "Lhasa! Lookie Lookie!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lhasa
- Hotels in Lhasa
- Transportation in Lhasa
- Nightlife in Lhasa
- Restaurants in Lhasa
- Shopping in Lhasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Lhasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lhasa
- 48 Reviews
- 224 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Lhasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lhasa
Photos in LhasaSee All Photos (224)
Videos in LhasaSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 161 reviews, 713 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 101 reviews, 439 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 252 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 48 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philadelphia Intro, 45 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 50 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 187 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 36 reviews, 184 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 33 reviews, 157 photos