"Moab" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by blueskyjohn
Moab Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 997 photos
I visit Moab at least once a year, sometimes twice a year for work and vacation. I am very fortunate that I can do both here because Moab offers all types of adventures as well history.
I started going to Moab over 17 years now. I can remember the first time I drove through town. I immediately fell in love with all it has to offer. I thoroughly enjoy hiking in Arches National Park, especially the the primitive trail from Devils Garden and Klondike Bluff, where there is a good chance you would be the only one on the trail.
Great camping is available everywhere you turn. Along the Colorado, sites along the La Sal loop road, Arches (but now you have to reserve online).
Whatever outdoor activity you decide to do when visiting Moab, please practice Leave No Trace principles.
If you are an avid mountain biker, Moab is a pilgrimage that is a must. The best time of year for this is April and May. Of course the summer months can be brutal. Always be sure to bring plenty of water and don't forget to drink it!
The area has one of the most iconic routes available, The Porcupine Rim. With all sections this route is close to 30 miles. But the mountain bike scene is always evolving. In 2012 a new route was introduced thanks to the efforts of the local mountain bikers, called the Magnificent 7, also known as Mag 7. This is sure to be a classic, just as Porcupine Rim.
There are plenty of mountain bike shops that have state of the art mountain bikes to rent. You can also ship your own bike to a shop and they will assemble for you and also break it down and ship it back home.
There are all levels of riding, so you can rent a bike for a day and the shop can direct you to the appropriate trails for your level.
Another unique feature of the area is the abundance of dinosaur tracks. Some are difficult to find while some you can drive right up. The tracks can be encircled by stones to make it easier to see but others may have to be searched for. Some notable tracks are:
Poison Spider trail head
Willow Springs Dinosaur tracks
Copper Ridge Dinosaur tracks
Klondike Bluff Dinosaur tracks - Part 1
Klondike Bluff Dinosaur tracks - Part 2
- Pros:Great weather, hiking, biking, dinosaurs!
- Cons:eventually I have to leave.
This is a really good outdoor equipment shop. Everything you need is here. Especially good if you forget to pack... more travel advice
For those that know about Matrimony Spring, use it frequently as the water is always running, cool, fresh and good... more travel advice
- Magnificent 7 mountain bike route...
- See All Magnificent 7 mountain bike trail!
- See All Klondike Bluff Dinosaur tracks - Part 2
blueskyjohn's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 37 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (119)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 72 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 48 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 37 reviews, 119 photos
- Tucson Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saguaro National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos
- Ushuaia Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- Jim Thorpe Intro, 17 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torres del Paine Intro, 17 reviews, 74 photos