"Moab" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by blueskyjohn

Moab Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 997 photos

My favorite town

I visit Moab at least once a year, sometimes twice a year for work and vacation. I am very fortunate that I can do both here because Moab offers all types of adventures as well history.

I started going to Moab over 17 years now. I can remember the first time I drove through town. I immediately fell in love with all it has to offer. I thoroughly enjoy hiking in Arches National Park, especially the the primitive trail from Devils Garden and Klondike Bluff, where there is a good chance you would be the only one on the trail.

Great camping is available everywhere you turn. Along the Colorado, sites along the La Sal loop road, Arches (but now you have to reserve online).

Whatever outdoor activity you decide to do when visiting Moab, please practice Leave No Trace principles.

Mountain Bike capitol of the world!

If you are an avid mountain biker, Moab is a pilgrimage that is a must. The best time of year for this is April and May. Of course the summer months can be brutal. Always be sure to bring plenty of water and don't forget to drink it!

The area has one of the most iconic routes available, The Porcupine Rim. With all sections this route is close to 30 miles. But the mountain bike scene is always evolving. In 2012 a new route was introduced thanks to the efforts of the local mountain bikers, called the Magnificent 7, also known as Mag 7. This is sure to be a classic, just as Porcupine Rim.

There are plenty of mountain bike shops that have state of the art mountain bikes to rent. You can also ship your own bike to a shop and they will assemble for you and also break it down and ship it back home.

There are all levels of riding, so you can rent a bike for a day and the shop can direct you to the appropriate trails for your level.

Dinosaurs!

Another unique feature of the area is the abundance of dinosaur tracks. Some are difficult to find while some you can drive right up. The tracks can be encircled by stones to make it easier to see but others may have to be searched for. Some notable tracks are:

Poison Spider trail head
Willow Springs Dinosaur tracks
Copper Ridge Dinosaur tracks
Klondike Bluff Dinosaur tracks - Part 1
Klondike Bluff Dinosaur tracks - Part 2

• Pros:Great weather, hiking, biking, dinosaurs!
  • Cons:eventually I have to leave.
  • Last visit to Moab: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 10, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This page is a total contrast to your Beijing and Tibet pages -- but also very interesting.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Sorry John, that it took a couple of days to finish reading, the computer was acting up.

Actually I've been to Moab several times but never to bike or hike. Thanks for the tour John! I especially enjoyed the "wild west" aspect, the cattle gate and shootings, I am familiar with these things. I recognized the gate right away and when they've shot at me I've shot back! LOL!

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hi Linda thanks for visiting. Just remember to keep your head down even when shooting back. Those Boy Scouts are crazy!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Excellent page on this stunning area!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Hi Dee, thanks for visiting my Moab page. I am fortunate to return here every year. It is like a home away from home.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for the great memories of my favorite spot in the U.S, John. What I love about your pages is that, between the two of us, we might have the wheels AND the boots covered, eh? Now I'm all homesick for the darn place. :O(

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hi Kate, thanks for visiting my page! I'll be back in Moab 3/9 for a few days. I can't get enough of the desert southwest. Any plans on returning soon?

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Feb 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Not at the moment but we'll see how long The Husband puts up with my whining to go. :OP

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM

It is really what "rural" page is. I never feel Antarctica or Antwerp belong to the category. You sure is my Okitsu page's biggest rival.

• katalin's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Amazing pictures and landscape, great page!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

This is really cool stuff mate.
    Great tips and photos.
    Greetings from a fellow hiker and biker.

May 25, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Hey Homer,

I'll be adding some more post today about dinosaur tracks in a few different areas close to Moab. Cool stuff!

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Just ran across you Moab pages and am headed there next month. Very good pages and tips indeed.
    Thanks for sharing them. Homer

blueskyjohn

“the journey IS the destination.”

Badges & Stats in Moab