"Escalante-Pure desert wilderness" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument by blueskyjohn

Views, waterfalls and slot canyons are awesome!

Escalante National Monument covers a huge amount of territory. Hole-in-the-rock road is the heart of Escalante slot canyon country. It is important to stop at the visitor center to check on road conditions and pick up a map. None of the trail access roads are marked. The best way is to count the turn offs and compare to the map.

The drive in from the west on route 12 is one of the best scenic drives in Utah. The main town in Escalante National Monument is the town of Escalante. Here you can find the visitor center, gas, supplies and a few hotels, RV parks.

Dispersed camping is permitted anywhere off Hole-in-the-rock road.

If you are just a day visitor to the park or you are camping, please practice Leave No Trace principles.

• Last visit to Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 12, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Fascinating tips! I haven't heard any coyotes for a long time.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Thanks Don. Every time I hear coyotes while camping here I get a big smile on my face.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I don't think I would attempt this one! Enjoyed my read and all the very helpful tips!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the great tips on the slot canyon. I hope to go see them next month!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 7:04 PM

We loved Grand Staircase and want to go back when our daughter is old enough to do some hiking. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

blueskyjohn Visits Here Frequently!

blueskyjohn

“the journey IS the destination.”

Badges & Stats in Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument

Have you been to Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument?

Photos in Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument