"Samara" Top 5 Page for this destination Sámara by blueskyjohn
Sámara Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 281 photos
One of my favorite places to visit when I'm in Costa Rica is Samara. It is a small quiet little town that hasn't changed in the 8 years I've been going here. The people are friendly and inviting. There are some great restaurants in town such as El Lagarto
The beach itself is large long and beautiful. It is shaped like a crescent with a gradual approach to the water which continues into the water that is perfect for swimming and surfing.
There are also excellent beaches nearby such as Playa Barrigona and Playa Carillo.
The beach at Samara is perfect for surfing. Geared more toward beginners and intermediate surfers, the waves are perfect. I've never experienced any rip tides and the floor is soft sand with hardly any rocks and little coral.
If you have never tried surfing, Samara is a great place to learn. Inexpensive and plenty of surf schools around.
My favorite place to rent a surf board and surf is Tico's Surf School. Located in the center of the crescent of Samara, it is an area where the waves break nicely.
After a full day of surfing, kayaking or swimming, there's nothing like sitting back and watching the sunset. With the sound of the surf and great temperatures, it makes for a very memorable experience.
- Pros:Small, Quiet, good food and great waves
- Cons:Limited services but the necessities are here.
- In a nutshell:The epitome of a small Costa Rican beach town
I've used a few companies over the years in Samara that offer horseback riding through the jungle and beach near Samara.... more travel advice
Samara is popular because of the easy access but mostly for the beautiful beach. The beach is 3 miles long and in a... more travel advice
- See All The shop with no name
- See All Banco National de Costa Rica
- See All Check out the Paella for 4 people!
- See All Young crowd and loud!
blueskyjohn's Related Pages
Sámara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Playa Samara, quiet time on the beach"
- "Safe, pretty, calm Samara Beach"
- "Samara undiscoverd Guanacaste"
- "A nice mix of locals and visitors"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sámara
- Hotels in Sámara
- Transportation in Sámara
- Nightlife in Sámara
- Restaurants in Sámara
- Shopping in Sámara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sámara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sámara
- 40 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (289)
Have you been to Sámara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sámara
- Posted in Travel Costa Rica Forum "Re: Costa Rica in Christmas 2016"
- updated a Sámara Travel Page "Samara"
- blueskyjohn created a new itinerary Day Trip up the coast to Nosara.
- Commented on one of blueskyjohn's Sámara tips
- Wrote a Review Horseback riding along the beach in Sámara Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Horseback riding along the beach"
- Uploaded a Video to Sámara
Photos in SámaraSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 171 reviews, 755 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 101 reviews, 439 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 68 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 262 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 48 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 50 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 187 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 36 reviews, 184 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sámara Intro, 40 reviews, 175 photos