"Torres Del Paine" Top 5 Page for this destination Torres del Paine by blueskyjohn
Torres del Paine Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 353 photos
Torres del Paine is a wonderful national park. Our trip did have a major problem. Several weeks before we were to leave, an irresponsible camper started a fire that burned nearly 70 square miles of forest and land. Authorities eventually charged a 23-year-old Israeli tourist for negligently starting the blaze by burning his group's toilet paper. Charges were eventually dropped when the "camper" paid a $10,000 fine and two years community service in Israel. Hardly a punishment that fit the crime, although an accident.
Please practice Leave No Trace Principles!
Luckily the park re-opened the day before we started into the park. We could not see any part of the fire because the last leg of the "W" route was closed because of the fire. We never got a chance to finish the "W" because of this and didn't get to see the Grey Glacier.
Access to the park is typically by bus from the town of Puerto Natales. Once you arrive at the ranger station and obtain your permit you have two choices to enter the park. You can wait for a bus to shuttle you to Las Torres or you can walk the dirt road which would take about 45 minutes to 1 hour. We opted to walk in.
Most people visit the park to hike the "W." This is a route forms the shape of a "W" with each leg of the W as an in and out hike. Refugio's are near the entrance of each valley so you can leave your large pack for a day pack and faster moving.Our second day was not much better. But we did go all the way to Mirador Las Torres.
However, the next day was the best.
When doing my research to hike the "W" I came across reports of swollen streams and different recommendations on how to... more travel advice
While hiking between Chileno and Cuernos, I came upon this heard of wild horses. Another beautiful experience with... more travel advice
blueskyjohn's Related Pages
Torres del Paine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torres del Paine - serenity in Patagonia"
- "Torres Del Paine"
- "Trekking in Torres Park"
- "The "W" hike in Torres del Paine National Park"
- "Entre Torres y Cuernos / Between Towers and Horns"
- "Torres del Paine - off the beaten track"
- "Storyin Torres del Paine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torres del Paine
- Hotels in Torres del Paine
- Transportation in Torres del Paine
- Warnings and Dangers in Torres del Paine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torres del Paine
- 17 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Torres del Paine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torres del Paine
Photos in Torres del PaineSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 72 reviews, 297 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 252 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 48 reviews, 224 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 50 reviews, 181 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 40 reviews, 187 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 162 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 34 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 30 reviews, 142 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 29 reviews, 125 photos