"Dry Tortugas National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park by ahouse2003
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 282 photos
Dry Tortugas National Park is one of the most remote national parks in the United States. It is a group of islands 70 miles west of Key West, FL and is only accessible by seaplane or boat. If you are visiting Key West, a day trip to Dry Tortugas is a must. The ocean is so blue and makes for great diving, snorkeling and fishing. The sea holds an abundance of life.
After Spain sold Florida to the US in the early 1800s, a Navy commander inspected the Tortugas in search of a place to build a naval base to stave off pirates. He was not happy with the Tortugas because there was no fresh water - that is where "Dry" came from. A few years went by and it was decided that a fort would be built there anyway with a lighthouse to keep ships from running aground in the coral reef and to build a Naval Defense for the Gulf Coast. The construction of Fort Jefferson started in 1846 - it is the most predominant figure of Dry Tortugas. It is the largest masonry construction in the Western Hemisphere - although it was never fully completed. It is quite beautiful, though, and offers great views of the beautiful Gulf of Mexico.
While on your historical tour of Fort Jefferson you will learn that it had also been used as a prison. One of its most... more travel advice
Sailing is a popular sport in Dry Tortugas. You can take your own boat or rent one - most people come from Key West,... more travel advice
ahouse2003's Related Pages
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Dry Tortugas Page"
- "Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Dry Tortugas National Park"
- "National Park"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Fort Jefferson Dry Tortugas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Hotels in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Transportation in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Nightlife in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Restaurants in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Dry Tortugas National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dry Tortugas National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Dry Tortugas National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dry Tortugas National Park
Photos in Dry Tortugas National ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Poás 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Nashville 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Tahiti Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Mungo National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Grand Cayman Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apollo Bay Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Xunantunich Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarapiquí Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- San José Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos