"Xunantunich Mayan Ruins" Xunantunich by ahouse2003
Xunantunich Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 105 photos
I highly recommend a day trip to the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins located in Belize's Cayo District. The architecture and history of these ruins are amazing.
While exploring the ruins, you will witness the great detail the Mayan people used when carving into the walls of the pyramids
The tallest pyramid of the Xunantunich Ruins is called "El Castillo." If you are in decent physical condition, I highly recommend a climb to the top. You will find beautiful views of the smaller pyramids below, as well as views of the Cayo District. You will even be able to see into Guatemala.
- Pros:Wonderful views, fascinating history
- Cons:Extremely hot weather and lots of bugs
- In a nutshell:A must for history buffs
Just a quick tip for those heading to Xunantunich - you must take a hand-cranked ferry across a very narrow river to... more travel advice
ahouse2003's Related Pages
Xunantunich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins"
- "Mayan Ceremonial Site"
- "Xunantunich! So fun to Pronounce! =)"
- "Maiden of the Rock: Xunantunich"
- "A day in the ruins"
- "Wonderful site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xunantunich
- Hotels in Xunantunich
- Transportation in Xunantunich
- Restaurants in Xunantunich
- Warnings and Dangers in Xunantunich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xunantunich
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Xunantunich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xunantunich
Photos in XunantunichSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Poás 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Nashville 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Tahiti Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Mungo National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Grand Cayman Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apollo Bay Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Xunantunich Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarapiquí Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- San José Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos