"Cidade Maravilhosa" Rio de Janeiro by MDUBYAZ
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,655 reviews and 6,514 photos
In the US, nothing says its time for the holiday season to begin like snow, mountains and egg nog. During my recent XMAS trip to Rio, that image was turned on its head, as 90 degree weather (same humidity), beaches and caipirihna were the abundant holiday treats. Seeing santa claus in windows as I walked by in just swimsuit just didnt feel right, but when in RIO...
Unlike most recent trips, my main goal for this trip to Brazil was relaxation. In that regard, mission accomplished as I relaxed on Ipanema beach(area) for 6 days. I never got tired of the gorgeous sunset over the two brothers mountain. However, my most memorable moments occured when I left the beach and headed inland: hiked Corcovado, lunched in the cool hills of Santa Teresa, "bonded" it(took the tram) to Lapa where we partook in a Saturday night street fair that lasted til dawn.
RIO is as culturally diverse as any major city, and should be given at least a week if you want to catch all of the main draws (beaches, Corcovado, sugarloaf, museums, a futbol match) but as always, stop to smell the roses (or grab an ice cold Brahma chopp). Get off the beaten path, chat up the locals (learn a little Portugese or try spanish:) and just take it in.
Warning: don't dress flashy, look like a tourist or lose track of your surroundings or you MAY be relieved of a few valued possessions rather quickly. (As in many large cities petty crime happens in large open areas, as several travel mates were subject to several purse snatching attempts. Luckily, nothing valuable was taken and no one was injured.)
RIO - it should be on everyone's list to visit at least once in their lives. The physical and diverse beauty city and surrounding nature alone merit a visit. Mix in the amazing food (seafood, beef stew with beans and rice), bossa nova, ice cold chopp, and a lively Carioca attitude...its a no brainer. Oh, one last thing, don't forget the sunscreen...you get red quick down here ;)
So after reading many VT'ers and guidebooks profess the absolute absurdity to wear boardshorts (aka american... more travel advice
MDUBYAZ's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Scottsdale Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Oslo Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Louisville Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Kempten Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Prescott Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos