"Modena" Top 5 Page for this destination Modena by oriettaIT

Modena Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 756 photos

Very livable small town

I was in Modena just for one day, I might have been very lucky but I left with a good feeling about it. Not too much traffic, lots of bike lane, smiling and courtesy people and a general feeling of a place that is very people friendly.
When I visited there were several free exhibit going on, not so common where I live...

Accademia Militare

Modena has one of Italian Military Accademy, kind of a little West Point. It is located into the Palazzo Ducale, it is a university level accademy to prepare Army and Carabinieri.
Strolling around the center, it is very easy to spot cadets, men and women, walking around in their uniforms.

They still appreciate the traditional shops

I appreciated the covered market, Mercato Albinelli, and the several traditional shops I saw strolling around.
It felt like people who live here like their traditions and will not give up the hundreds years old shops to gut them and build a trendy New York style shop.

• Pros:Great food, smiling people
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:Worth the visit if you are in the area
  • Last visit to Modena: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2011

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Sunny again here!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Mm, I'm thinking about including this city for a morning or so (last time, I chose Reggio Emilia instead)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I love tea, spices and marmelade in glass jars! :)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Tks for remembering, Orietta. Will return to your Modena soon. I like the warm ambiance of your Intro photo (livable small town) -- felt something similar in Bologna myself (benché la Rossa non è piccola...) And imagine!! I stopped in Modena for late dinner in 1970... da Oreste! Ci vediamo!

oriettaIT

“Leave nothing on the beach except footprints”

Badges & Stats in Modena