"My holiday in Saint Julian's" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Julian's by glamourprincess
Saint Julian's Travel Guide: 227 reviews and 323 photos
I visited Malta for the first time in August 2006. Travelling with my boyfriend, we were going to stay at the Baystreet Hotel in the middle of Paceville. Help! I knew we wouldn't get much peace and quiet, and I was fairly right. We did sleep well though, because the rooms at our hotel were very well isolated from sounds and noise from the outside.
When I think of Malta and Saint Julian's, I think of language school students just turned 16 and on their first holiday away from their parents. I was right, I just didn't think there would be so many of them! The language school students are everywhere.. filling the barstreets, Burger King, Baystreet Complex and Saint George's Bay. When I went to Skiathos in June, I felt so young.. in Saint Julian's I felt old and boring. Staying in the middle of the Baystreet Complex is not the most romantic spot on the planet. It's like an open-air mall with lots of stores, restaurants and an arcade. And there was always something going on on the first floor, such as local talentshows.. Oh well. They did have some great shops there though!
Spinola Bay, the area close to Portofino complex and Sliema were all close by and were the most charming and nicest parts of Saint Julian's. I'm used to greek charm with white houses, flowers and narrow streets, Malta was quite the opposite. I missed the beauty of it all.. There was too much waste lying around, and many closed shops and restaurants made the place look a bit deserted and in need of refurbishment. Spinola Bay was quite nice though and it was a nice walk along the sea over to Sliema. Lots of restaurants and cafes to choose from..
We went on three trips during our stay. Once we went to the capital Valletta - we walked on our alone through the many streets.. it's cool to see the old buildings, and I'm sure the town carries a lot of history, but we didn't visit any museums since none of us are particularly interested in history or culture.. (not yet!). Water was overpriced and it was hard to find places that sold food and drinks in the burning heat. We went there by bus, an overcrowded cheap yellow old bus. It's like being in a sauna for 45 minutes. Valletta had some great shops (I do love shopping!) : Miss selfridges, Mango, Marks & Spencer.. We had lunch at an outdoor restaurant, low prices and fairly good pizza. I was a bit dissappointed with Valletta as I thought there would be more to see and experience without entering museums and churches.
We love beaches and swimming, so we went to Mellieha Bay which is supposed to be the best beach in Malta. It was nice..sandy and lovely for swimming. Just the right temperature in the ocean. It was a bit pricey to rent sunbeds LM5 for two sunbeds and an umbrella. And there was a lot of trash in the sand such as cigarettes and stuff.. Italians smoke too much! It is so not sexy by the way! Once again we travelled by bus.. an overcrowded overheated bus.. At least it's cheap!
The blue lagoon is an absolute must-see! We went there by boat on one of Captain Morgan's (he's everywhere!) organized trips. A huge wooden sailboat. Really lovely! We got a bit seasick though, too much waves! But the blue lagoon was amazing, and staying at that boat was just perfect. A perfect lazy and relaxing day out on the sea.
- Pros:Hot and sunny. Great shops. Clubbing is fantastic! Hard Rock Cafe had great food! Prices! The blue lagoon = heaven on earth!
- Cons:Too many 16year olds. Food was so-so. Elevator from hell. Not so charming place.
- In a nutshell:Lacking in charm, but making it up in shopping and clubbing!
We visited Huggins based on a tip where someone claimed to have eaten at Huggins 6 out of 7 days during their holiday... more travel advice
Visiting Hard Rock Cafe while abroad is kind of taboo to some people. When you travel you should experience different... more travel advice
- Discrimination of tourists
- Fashionable clothes in a fancy store
- Blue lagoon on your own
glamourprincess' Related Pages
Saint Julian's Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St.Julians (in Maltese San Giljan) - My Village !"
- "Saint Julian's"
- "St Julians"
- "My holiday in Saint Julian's"
- "Definitely geared for tourists."
- "Welcome to St. Julian's"
- "Eszter's St. Julian's Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Julian's
- Hotels in Saint Julian's
- Transportation in Saint Julian's
- Nightlife in Saint Julian's
- Restaurants in Saint Julian's
- Shopping in Saint Julian's
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Julian's
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Julian's
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Saint Julian's?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Julian's
Photos in Saint Julian'sSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Oslo Intro, 62 reviews, 6 photos
- Ibiza Intro, 28 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Julian's Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Ayia Napa Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Kragerø Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews
- Stockholm Intro, 7 reviews
- Kos Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.