"My holiday in Saint Julian's" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Julian's by glamourprincess

Saint Julian's Travel Guide: 227 reviews and 323 photos

Not the most peaceful place on earth

I visited Malta for the first time in August 2006. Travelling with my boyfriend, we were going to stay at the Baystreet Hotel in the middle of Paceville. Help! I knew we wouldn't get much peace and quiet, and I was fairly right. We did sleep well though, because the rooms at our hotel were very well isolated from sounds and noise from the outside.
When I think of Malta and Saint Julian's, I think of language school students just turned 16 and on their first holiday away from their parents. I was right, I just didn't think there would be so many of them! The language school students are everywhere.. filling the barstreets, Burger King, Baystreet Complex and Saint George's Bay. When I went to Skiathos in June, I felt so young.. in Saint Julian's I felt old and boring. Staying in the middle of the Baystreet Complex is not the most romantic spot on the planet. It's like an open-air mall with lots of stores, restaurants and an arcade. And there was always something going on on the first floor, such as local talentshows.. Oh well. They did have some great shops there though!

Spinola Bay and Sliema

Spinola Bay, the area close to Portofino complex and Sliema were all close by and were the most charming and nicest parts of Saint Julian's. I'm used to greek charm with white houses, flowers and narrow streets, Malta was quite the opposite. I missed the beauty of it all.. There was too much waste lying around, and many closed shops and restaurants made the place look a bit deserted and in need of refurbishment. Spinola Bay was quite nice though and it was a nice walk along the sea over to Sliema. Lots of restaurants and cafes to choose from..

Valletta, Comino and Mellieha Bay

We went on three trips during our stay. Once we went to the capital Valletta - we walked on our alone through the many streets.. it's cool to see the old buildings, and I'm sure the town carries a lot of history, but we didn't visit any museums since none of us are particularly interested in history or culture.. (not yet!). Water was overpriced and it was hard to find places that sold food and drinks in the burning heat. We went there by bus, an overcrowded cheap yellow old bus. It's like being in a sauna for 45 minutes. Valletta had some great shops (I do love shopping!) : Miss selfridges, Mango, Marks & Spencer.. We had lunch at an outdoor restaurant, low prices and fairly good pizza. I was a bit dissappointed with Valletta as I thought there would be more to see and experience without entering museums and churches.

We love beaches and swimming, so we went to Mellieha Bay which is supposed to be the best beach in Malta. It was nice..sandy and lovely for swimming. Just the right temperature in the ocean. It was a bit pricey to rent sunbeds LM5 for two sunbeds and an umbrella. And there was a lot of trash in the sand such as cigarettes and stuff.. Italians smoke too much! It is so not sexy by the way! Once again we travelled by bus.. an overcrowded overheated bus.. At least it's cheap!

The blue lagoon is an absolute must-see! We went there by boat on one of Captain Morgan's (he's everywhere!) organized trips. A huge wooden sailboat. Really lovely! We got a bit seasick though, too much waves! But the blue lagoon was amazing, and staying at that boat was just perfect. A perfect lazy and relaxing day out on the sea.

• Pros:Hot and sunny. Great shops. Clubbing is fantastic! Hard Rock Cafe had great food! Prices! The blue lagoon = heaven on earth!
  • Cons:Too many 16year olds. Food was so-so. Elevator from hell. Not so charming place.
  • In a nutshell:Lacking in charm, but making it up in shopping and clubbing!
  • Last visit to Saint Julian's: Aug 2006
  • Intro Written Aug 22, 2006

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 7:00 AM

Hi! I am a Malta lover! I like Paceville/St. Julian's and I agree totally with u.. too many teenager now :) Last time I was there in summer I was 23 and felt a lil old LOL and in 2005 for New Year's eve it was better coz there were older ppl too..

• Dick33's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 2:07 AM

I stayed in Bay st a couple of years ago, this new year I am staying in the Juliani.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Interesting page. A friend of mine went to Malta and was also not very impressed with the place. Oh well, at least it is pretty and sunny!

glamourprincess

“The world is mine!”

Badges & Stats in Saint Julian's

Have you been to Saint Julian's?

Latest Activity in Saint Julian's