"Sulphur city" Rotorua by BurgerQueen
Rotorua Travel Guide: 486 reviews and 1,225 photos
Rotorua was supposed to be a half-day stop in our journey from Auckland to Wellington, but a few hours after our arrival, we decided to book a hotel, and we spent there a couple of days.
Being located in one of the most active geothermal areas of New Zealand, Rotorua will make you feel in Hell! A couple of geysers in the Te Puia park (very close to the city centre) activate almost every hour, lake Rotorua evaporates continuously under your eyes and hot water springs are visible in many places. Air is filled with sulphur and you’ll smell it everywhere, even in your hotel room. It’s quite an unusual scenario, staying in such an active place makes you feel alive!
The city itself is modern, cosy and well structured, starting from the nice shopping area, to the beautiful spas, the adrenaline activities and the romantic lake waterfront.
I suggest a visit to the Rotorua tourist office (located in the city main street) to get an overview on the activities offered by the city and some discounts on ticket purchases.
So much to do for just a half-day stopover!
- In a nutshell:A must when travelling New Zealand!
The Lakeside Café has a very nice view on Lake Rotorua and a comfortable inner terrace. Food is nice and tasty, but, due... more travel advice
Waitomo is 140km away from Rotorua, and since you cannot miss the spectacular "glow worm cave", I suggest organising a... more travel advice
BurgerQueen's Related Pages
Rotorua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Roto-Vegas!"
- "Clean Steam - Smell Hell - Culture Capital"
- "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- "Maori Culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotorua
- Hotels in Rotorua
- Transportation in Rotorua
- Nightlife in Rotorua
- Restaurants in Rotorua
- Shopping in Rotorua
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotorua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotorua
- 16 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Rotorua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotorua
Photos in RotoruaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Naxos Island Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos
- Montpellier Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Rotorua Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Nice Intro, 16 reviews, 31 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Wellington Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Termoli Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos