"Visit Port Arthur" Port Arthur by Henk.Irene
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 166 photos
For visitor information see Webside http://www.portarthur.org.au/
Your day entry pass is valid for two consecutive days.
The Pyderrairme people were the traditional owners of this area. Port Arthur penal station was established in 1830 as a timber-getting camp. After 1833 it became a punishment station for repeat offenders from all the Australian colonies. When the probation system was introduced in 1841, many convicts were sent to outstations around the Peninsula to work in timber-getting and agriculture. Transportation of convicts ended in 1853 and Port Arthur began to enter it welfare phase. Ingreasingly it housed the wreckage of the convict system, men too physically or mentally disabled to look after themselves. The penal settlement finally closed in 1877. Many of the settlement's buildings were pulled down or gutted by fire. Tourists began immediately the settlement was closed.
What you see this two days is only a fraction of what was once here.
We are there two days and it gives us a very good impression how the convicts live was in the past. Thanks to the guides for the clear storys.
For a visual impression see my videos Port Arthur Historic Site Day 1 and Port Arthur Historic Site Day 2 .
A possibility of welcom to the visitors, behind the bars and with ball and chains weighed up to 20 kg. Such as the convicts in the past.
You can make a Harbour Cruise, but we advice also visiting the Point Puer Boys Prison and the Isle of the Dead. Access to the Point Puer Boys Prison and the Isle of the Dead is only available on guided tours. You can book these tours at the Visitor Centre.
- Pros:An arrangement to assist people with limited mobility is possible.
- Cons:The weather is changable, you need something warm. The ground is uneven in places and there is a lot of walking to do, so sturdy footwear is advised.
CAGES FOR LIONS When the convicts first arrived in September 1830 they were housed in a hastilybuilt Priseners Barracks... more travel advice
THE CONTROL ROOM OF THE MACHINE. The Commandant's House (built in stages 1833-56) and the Senior Military Officer's... more travel advice
Henk.Irene's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CONVICT SETTLEMENT"
- "Get a sense of the history"
- "More than Just a Jail!"
- "Port Arthur - Convict's Retreat"
- "Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom"
- "Port Arthur"
- "PORT ARTHUR- BE SURPRISED!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Arthur
- Hotels in Port Arthur
- Transportation in Port Arthur
- Restaurants in Port Arthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Arthur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
Photos in Port ArthurSee All Photos (18)
Videos in Port ArthurSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- State of New South Wales Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nubeena Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Sydney Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Dresden Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Vienna Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Königstein Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Port Arthur Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Richmond Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Denman Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Eaglehawk Neck Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos