"Stranded in Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes by livethedream
Province of Batanes Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 579 photos
Batanes is a province in the northernmost tip of the Philippines with Basco as the capital. It is closer to Taiwan than it is to mainland Luzon. The province is composed of 10 islands, 3 of which are inhabited. The people of Batanes are called Ivatan and they share cultural and linguistic affinity with the Tao people of Taiwan. Spanish ancestry also runs in their blood. They speak the Ivatan dialect which is so unlike any other in the Philippines.
I have dreamt about going to Batanes for so long. I've seen the pictures, heard and read the stories. I must take action.
I found the website of Lakbay Pilipinas that offers a 4-day package tour at a reasonable price. The only problem is they need a minimum of 4 persons to go. No go. My travel agent quoted me a price that's almost the same as the Lakbay Pilipinas rate but does not include the Sabtang trip. Hmm. I decided to organize my own trip.
First the accomodation (because they didnt require deposit) and then the flight. Travelling at the end of October means no competition so I didnt have problems with these departments. All land arrangements were done in Batanes. And I found a travel buddy to share the adventure with me.
There were only 5 other tourists in the plane to Basco. We came across only 2 of them during our trips around the island. Really made me feel that Batanes was all ours to enjoy.
On the 3rd day, typhoon Reming came. Batanes was not directly hit but the incoming plane could not fly out of Manila. Our 4-day trip turned to 6 days, giving us more time to immerse with the locals and do more things. We met some young Ivatan artists and gatecrashed their halloween party, watched the kiddie olympics, had a lazy day and an encounter with the cows at the rolling hills of Tukon.
What an adventure we had in Batanes. Makes me so proud that my country has an amazing place like it.
I hope my page will be of help in planning your own Batanes trip. I've bombarded the tips with photos for you to appreciate Batanes more. If you care to know, we spent P16,530 each for the 6-day trip. P10,700 for the airfare and P5830 for food, transpo and accom (excluding souvenir shopping). Cheers!
The barrios of Malakdang and Sinakan are located in the center of town, also called Centro. This is where the pier is.... more travel advice
It is true that unless you want to wait long, you have to make prior arrangements for meals in Batanes (like we did at... more travel advice
livethedream's Related Pages
Province of Batanes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BATANES I SAW........I CAME ......I CONQUERED....."
- "Stranded in Paradise"
- "Batanes: A Dream Destination"
- "The blessed little Island way up North-Batanes"
- "Like no other place on earth"
- "Simply beautiful Batanes"
- "Rugged mystical Batanes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Batanes
- Hotels in Province of Batanes
- Transportation in Province of Batanes
- Nightlife in Province of Batanes
- Restaurants in Province of Batanes
- Shopping in Province of Batanes
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Batanes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Batanes
- 33 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Province of Batanes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Batanes
Photos in Province of BatanesSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos
- Beijing Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camiguin Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yogyakarta Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camarines Sur Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Nido Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Puerto Princesa City Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Province of Ilocos Norte Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos