"Finally, Mount Kinabalu!" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Kinabalu by livethedream
Taman Negara Kinabalu Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 543 photos
After waiting for 6+ months, my cousin and I finally climbed Mt Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia. Did I reach the summit? Yes, and stood there for a grand total of 1 min. Did I see the sunrise from the summit? Nope. All I saw and felt were the rain, howling wind and the faint headlights of hikers struggling up to claim their victory. But I had the best time of my life and I'd do it again if I get the chance...
As early as May 2005, I scoured the net for info and tips on climbing Mt K. I read countless accounts of past climbers, making me itch even more for Mt K.
I found the website for Sutera Sanctuary Lodges that provides many useful information on climbing Mt K like accomodation, climbing fees etc. It was through this website that I booked my mountain accomodation.
All plans for the climb revolved around the availability of the limited accomodation high up the mountain. Sutera came back to me several times with emails that opened with the sentence "Sorry to inform you that the mountain accommodation is not available on...". Aaaargh!
Round about August, an email arrived saying that I got the booking. But this time it was I who's not available. Another Aaaaargh!
On a trip to southern China I met some travelers who'd climbed Mt K and they advised me to just go and not wait for Sutera to confirm my booking. That's what they've done, they said. Okaaay...
But what if? I didn't want to risk flying to Kota Kinabalu from faraway Beijing (where I was living at that time) and go back in tears (umuwing luhaan hehe).
My patience paid off when, in October, Sutera finally sent the confirmation: 2 beds at Laban Rata for me and my mountaineer cousin in mid-December, coinciding with my long Christmas holidays. Mt K here we come!
Follow our adventure to Mt Kinabalu...
As if we haven't had enough of climbing stairs, cuz and I climbed up many steps to the Poring canopy walk. We had a... more travel advice
Wet but victorious we started our descent from Laban Rata at about 9:30am. The hike down was generally pleasant altho'... more travel advice
livethedream's Related Pages
Taman Negara Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount Kinabalu"
- "Mt Kinabalu"
- "Finally, Mount Kinabalu!"
- "Kinabalu National Park"
- "Mount Kinabalu - Highest point in Malaysia"
- "Mount Kinabalu (Land Below The Wind)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Hotels in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Transportation in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Shopping in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taman Negara Kinabalu
- 26 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Taman Negara Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taman Negara Kinabalu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 33 reviews, 63 photos
- Beijing Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camiguin Intro, 18 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yogyakarta Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Camarines Sur Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- El Nido Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Puerto Princesa City Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Province of Ilocos Norte Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos