"Finally, Mount Kinabalu!" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Kinabalu by livethedream

Taman Negara Kinabalu Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 543 photos

After waiting for 6+ months, my cousin and I finally climbed Mt Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia. Did I reach the summit? Yes, and stood there for a grand total of 1 min. Did I see the sunrise from the summit? Nope. All I saw and felt were the rain, howling wind and the faint headlights of hikers struggling up to claim their victory. But I had the best time of my life and I'd do it again if I get the chance...

Go Climb A Mountain!

As early as May 2005, I scoured the net for info and tips on climbing Mt K. I read countless accounts of past climbers, making me itch even more for Mt K.

I found the website for Sutera Sanctuary Lodges that provides many useful information on climbing Mt K like accomodation, climbing fees etc. It was through this website that I booked my mountain accomodation.

All plans for the climb revolved around the availability of the limited accomodation high up the mountain. Sutera came back to me several times with emails that opened with the sentence "Sorry to inform you that the mountain accommodation is not available on...". Aaaargh!

Round about August, an email arrived saying that I got the booking. But this time it was I who's not available. Another Aaaaargh!

Just Go!

On a trip to southern China I met some travelers who'd climbed Mt K and they advised me to just go and not wait for Sutera to confirm my booking. That's what they've done, they said. Okaaay...

But what if? I didn't want to risk flying to Kota Kinabalu from faraway Beijing (where I was living at that time) and go back in tears (umuwing luhaan hehe).

My patience paid off when, in October, Sutera finally sent the confirmation: 2 beds at Laban Rata for me and my mountaineer cousin in mid-December, coinciding with my long Christmas holidays. Mt K here we come!

Follow our adventure to Mt Kinabalu...

• Last visit to Taman Negara Kinabalu: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2006

• travelpug's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 6:22 AM

Hi Ruby, I enjoyed reading your tips! I also went up to the summit on a rainy morning. But proud that I made it anyway! Thanks for sharing your tips and pictures.

• bike_packer's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 12:22 AM

great kinabalu page. parang umakyat na rin ako. would really want to climb that big mountain one of these days. kaya kaya ng mrs ko who is a newbie? friendly ba ang trail?

livethedream

“"Travel only with thy equals or thy betters. If there are none, travel alone"”

Badges & Stats in Taman Negara Kinabalu

Have you been to Taman Negara Kinabalu?

Latest Activity in Taman Negara Kinabalu