"Maputo...and lobster feast!!" Maputo by WaRPer
Maputo Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 959 photos
MAPUTO -- Formerly known as Lourenco Marques, a heady tourist spot up until the early 1970's. Maputo is a lively port city, although carries many ugly scars on its buildings (including the grand palaces, markets, museums and humble Creole-style homes) as a reminder of the violent civil strife and political termoil the country endured until the early 1990's. Fortunately, the city is steadily rebuilding itself in the hope of recapturing its glory years as a tourist spot.
"City on the Rise" on Lonely Planet Bluelist. Maputo is a very small city, devided into 2 parts: the Historical section (around Placa de Independencia) and Downtown (Polana Mall and the Maputo Bay). We spent 3 days here, and just fell in love with how undisturbed the city is (esp as we just took off from Jo'burg!). The people are nice and friendly, and all that matters -- CHEAP SEAFOOD.
"The Fort of Maputo" A mid-scale yellowish architecture, covered with trees and bushes on the outside. This place is a... more travel advice
The Municipal Market. Half-way between the Railway Station and Placa de Independencia. Experience true-local life.... more travel advice
WaRPer's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atlanta Intro, 7 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 38 photos, 6 travelogues
- Luang Prabang Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 4 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos