" Parintins " Parintins by maharaja_joe
Parintins Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 15 photos
If you come to Manaus during June, try to make it to Parintins for the Boi Bumba festival. I guarantee you that it is an unforgettable experience, especially if you are willing to put in a week.
The folk lore is that of a pregnant woman who feels the desire to eat beef tongue. Her husband kills his master's best ox and is thrown in jail. He is finally freed because the local shaman brings the ox back to life. This is acted out during the event in the Bombodromo. The venue also hosts a competition of floats and performances by two rival boi groups: The Garantido (color=red) and the Caprichoso (color = blue). So deep is the rivalry, that it is common to see houses, telephone booths ... and even coca cola logos ... painted in red and blue.
I reached Parintins from Manaus by going down the Amazon river on a banana boat for two days. The boat was the only mode of transporation for the locals. My broken portuguese and my brazilian friend, Claudiomar, ensured that we could comfortably hang out with the locals. We talked about Washington DC, where I lived and Bombay, where I grew up. I watched in amazement as caboclo families, dressed in their Sunday best, rowed their little canoes to attend mass at the river-side churches. I danced with the local girls, drank the cachaca and ate the feijoadas. Somewhere in between fishing for piranhas and actually eating them, I realized that this was cleary the best of all my backpacking trips.
Like any other event where people from far and wide flock to a single location, Parintins too has its share of... more travel advice
This is clearly the thing to do during the three days of the carnival. Go early to find yourself a good spot in the... more travel advice
maharaja_joe's Related Pages
Parintins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " Parintins "
- "Parintins - Along the Amazon River"
- "Welcome to the Jungle - Parantins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parintins
- Hotels in Parintins
- Transportation in Parintins
- Nightlife in Parintins
- Shopping in Parintins
- Warnings and Dangers in Parintins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parintins
- 6 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Parintins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parintins
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Culebra Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Manaus Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Serengeti National Park Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Ngorongoro 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kabale District Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Parintins Intro, 6 reviews, 1 travelogue
- Uzi Island Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.