" Parintins " Parintins by maharaja_joe

Parintins Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 15 photos

If you come to Manaus during June, try to make it to Parintins for the Boi Bumba festival. I guarantee you that it is an unforgettable experience, especially if you are willing to put in a week.

The folk lore is that of a pregnant woman who feels the desire to eat beef tongue. Her husband kills his master's best ox and is thrown in jail. He is finally freed because the local shaman brings the ox back to life. This is acted out during the event in the Bombodromo. The venue also hosts a competition of floats and performances by two rival boi groups: The Garantido (color=red) and the Caprichoso (color = blue). So deep is the rivalry, that it is common to see houses, telephone booths ... and even coca cola logos ... painted in red and blue.

I reached Parintins from Manaus by going down the Amazon river on a banana boat for two days. The boat was the only mode of transporation for the locals. My broken portuguese and my brazilian friend, Claudiomar, ensured that we could comfortably hang out with the locals. We talked about Washington DC, where I lived and Bombay, where I grew up. I watched in amazement as caboclo families, dressed in their Sunday best, rowed their little canoes to attend mass at the river-side churches. I danced with the local girls, drank the cachaca and ate the feijoadas. Somewhere in between fishing for piranhas and actually eating them, I realized that this was cleary the best of all my backpacking trips.

• Last visit to Parintins: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2007

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 3:05 AM

Great info!! I''ve always wanted to see Boi Bumba festival in Parantins. It's on the list of places to visit in my next trip to Brazil :))

Badges & Stats in Parintins

Have you been to Parintins?

Latest Activity in Parintins