"Riva Del Garda" Top 5 Page for this destination Riva del Garda by ChrisnJan

Riva del Garda Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 243 photos

The Town

We spent ten happy days here in August 2001 and found the place to be very beautiful, even though a lot of the town had been decked out in carnival paraphernalia for an annual festival that is apparently held every August. The evenings were very busy as crowds flocked to see the numerous performances taking place all over the town. But take away the bunting and the scaffolding and you are left with a very picturesque town with tall brightly coloured buildings lining narrow streets full of shops, restaurants and bars. Around the town centre and especially in the harbour area, Riva has a very traditional feel to it (once the festival had finished). I will not be adding any tips for specific restaurants or bars as I did not make any notes and therefore cannot remember names and details.

The Scenery

Riva is situated on the North-Western corner of Lake Garda and seen from the water, the brightly coloured buildings are dwarfed by the dramatic backdrop of sinister looking mountains surrounding the town. There are beautiful views to be had all around the town with its historic buildings, well tended gardens and wide open vistas across the lake, where the morning mist will add atmosphere to any photograph. There is also a public beach which although shingle is actually quite pleasent for relaxing with your book.

People, Transport and Food

We did not have much interaction with the locals on this holiday other than the usual hotel and waiting staff, restauranteurs and shopkeepers all of whom appeared very friendly, courteous and above all helpful. We relied on public transport for days out, ferries for the local destinations (Limone, Malcesine) and buses to go further afield (Simione, Venice). The public transport here is very adequate and very affordable, I can see no reason for choosing to hire a car in this area. My only grumble was the food, while the staff and the service were very good, I found the food to be very average, the menus were all very similar everywhere. Maybe I had set my sights too high, being a lover of Italian food, or maybe we just chose the wrong restaurants however it would not put me off of going back to Riva.

• Pros:The Scenery
  • In a nutshell:Very nice holiday, would go back
  • Last visit to Riva del Garda: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2007

• Robertvp's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Nice pic. we are headed to Riva in a few days time, will certainly visit

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 1:49 AM

a beautiful area to enjoy some time roaming around!

• Jan 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM

The beach looks nice Chris! You were right about the weather today - looks like it's going to be lovely! :)

ChrisnJan

“Are We There Yet”

Badges & Stats in Riva del Garda

Have you been to Riva del Garda?

Latest Activity in Riva del Garda