"Riva Del Garda" Top 5 Page for this destination Riva del Garda by ChrisnJan
Riva del Garda Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 243 photos
We spent ten happy days here in August 2001 and found the place to be very beautiful, even though a lot of the town had been decked out in carnival paraphernalia for an annual festival that is apparently held every August. The evenings were very busy as crowds flocked to see the numerous performances taking place all over the town. But take away the bunting and the scaffolding and you are left with a very picturesque town with tall brightly coloured buildings lining narrow streets full of shops, restaurants and bars. Around the town centre and especially in the harbour area, Riva has a very traditional feel to it (once the festival had finished). I will not be adding any tips for specific restaurants or bars as I did not make any notes and therefore cannot remember names and details.
Riva is situated on the North-Western corner of Lake Garda and seen from the water, the brightly coloured buildings are dwarfed by the dramatic backdrop of sinister looking mountains surrounding the town. There are beautiful views to be had all around the town with its historic buildings, well tended gardens and wide open vistas across the lake, where the morning mist will add atmosphere to any photograph. There is also a public beach which although shingle is actually quite pleasent for relaxing with your book.
We did not have much interaction with the locals on this holiday other than the usual hotel and waiting staff, restauranteurs and shopkeepers all of whom appeared very friendly, courteous and above all helpful. We relied on public transport for days out, ferries for the local destinations (Limone, Malcesine) and buses to go further afield (Simione, Venice). The public transport here is very adequate and very affordable, I can see no reason for choosing to hire a car in this area. My only grumble was the food, while the staff and the service were very good, I found the food to be very average, the menus were all very similar everywhere. Maybe I had set my sights too high, being a lover of Italian food, or maybe we just chose the wrong restaurants however it would not put me off of going back to Riva.
- Pros:The Scenery
- In a nutshell:Very nice holiday, would go back
This is a very pretty village not far from Riva and nestled at the foot of Mount Baldo. We walked around the shore of... more travel advice
We took an organised excursion to Venice, I cannot remember what company we used or how much it cost but we had a great... more travel advice
ChrisnJan's Related Pages
Riva del Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riva Del Garda"
- "We had no particular destination in mind"
- "A relaxing and relaxed lake resort"
- "Riva Del Garda"
- "A day tour to the north of the lake"
- "Riva del Garda."
- "Lake Garda in Northern Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riva del Garda
- Hotels in Riva del Garda
- Transportation in Riva del Garda
- Restaurants in Riva del Garda
- Warnings and Dangers in Riva del Garda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riva del Garda
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Riva del Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riva del Garda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos
- Kent Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos
- Highland Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- East Sussex Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cyprus Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riva del Garda Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Albufeira Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos