"Vigan" Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan by limledi
Vigan Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,379 photos
Vigan is 130 km north of San Fernando (La Union) and, next to Intramuros in Manila, is the second greatest architectural legacy of the Spaniards. The difference is that many of the old houses in Vigan are still standing. In the latter half of the16th century, Vigan became a Spanish base.
Today Vigan is the best preserved Spanish town in the Philippines. You can almost smell the history here. It is well known as the birthplace of several national heroes, including Diego Silang and his brave wife, Gabriela and Padre Jose Burgos.
Vigan is especially impressive in the early morning, when the diffused light transforms the old town with its colonial houses and calesas into a scene reminescent of the 17th century, eg Mena Crisologo St is particularly beautiful. The old town is closed off to normal traffic until 10am, after which however the exhaust fumes are blasted out again with a vengeance. UNESCO has already approved money for the redevelopment of the old town centre, also known as "Vigan Heritage Village" with its over 180 so-called Vigan houses. Other places of interest includes Cathedral of St Paul, Bantay Church, Mindoro Beach, Burgos & Crisologo Museums, Museo Nueva Segovia in Arzobispado.
A famous church in the district of Bantay. The belltower, which is a few metres off to the side, used to serve as a watchtower for spying out possible attackers.
An interesting look into the life of Padre Jose Burgos, who was executed by the Spaniards in 1872.
- Pros:Lesson In Philippine History.
- Cons:Old Accomodations.
- In a nutshell:A Look Into The Past!
Baluarte Ni Chavit Singson is such a delight. It's my first time to see a tiger upclose without the confines of a cage.... more travel advice
Syquia Mansion, on Quirino Boulevard is one of the most beautiful colonial houses in Vigan City. The ancestral home of... more travel advice
limledi's Related Pages
Vigan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "vigan if i can ..."
- "Vigan - that "Spanish" feel.."
- " Nostalgia at VIGAN"
- "Back to the 16th century Ilocos"
- "The oldest city north of the Philippines"
- "The Heritage City of Vigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vigan
- Hotels in Vigan
- Transportation in Vigan
- Nightlife in Vigan
- Restaurants in Vigan
- Shopping in Vigan
- Warnings and Dangers in Vigan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vigan
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Vigan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vigan
Photos in ViganSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 72 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 70 reviews, 178 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cebu Island Intro, 58 reviews, 183 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 53 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Laguna Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 50 reviews, 146 photos
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 131 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 41 reviews, 118 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 40 reviews, 114 photos
- Beijing Intro, 35 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues