"Xian "Peaceful western part of China"" Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an by albaaust
Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,091 reviews and 2,977 photos
Xi’an was formerly called Chang’an and lies in the central part of Guanzhong Plain between the Wei River to the north and the Qinling Mountain to the south.
Xi’an has immense historical significance. It was the capital city for thirteen dynasties from 1100 BC, the start (in China) and end of the “old silk road” and arguably the most important archeological site in China. It is a treasure trove of historical relics with 72 tombs of Emperors and palaces, temples and multiple other reminders of the past. There are 37 national monument historical sites designated for state protection and 283 provincial sites with more than 2 million cultural relics in the Xi’an area.
The city itself is in a rectangular shape with the central block bound by city walls dating back to 582 AD.
In terms of its cuisine Xi’an is famous for its noodles and dumplings which are made from wheat.
The interesting thing for us is that although a lot of people go to Xian to see the Terracotta warriors for us what was even more interesting was the city wall.
See also our general page China
- Pros:The city wall
- Cons:none really
- In a nutshell:More than the terracotta warriors
Our guide took us to this huge restaurant on the way back from visiting the warriors. It was next to a silk factory and... more travel advice
This shop was right next to the Nanpo Village and you could easily miss it-it is a bit nondescript. However, it did seem... more travel advice
- See All Don’t get confused with what hotel you...
- See All Trishaws
- Bins with attitude
albaaust's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 28 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broome Intro, 35 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cottesloe Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Darwin Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pingyao Intro, 33 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 28 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanjing Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues