"Bagan - indescribable!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan by albaaust
Bagan Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 1,340 photos
Once you have been here every other place that has pagodas pales in comparison! The difference is that there are thousands of temples/pagodas that you can visit and you can climb some of them!!
The ruins of Bagan cover an area of land measuring about 16 square miles along the banks of Irrawaddy. The monuments which are in various stages of decay were erected mostly from the 11th to 13th centuries AD when Bagan was the seat of the Burmese dynasty.
A long line of 55 Kings ruled over Bagan during the 12 centuries beginning from 108 AD.
The remains of 5,000 pagodas and monasteries can be traced.
The first type is the bell shaped stupa of solid brick work raised on a series of receding terraces and crowned by a finial. The term, Zedi is applied to such structures. They were erected to enshrine some relics of the Buddha or commemorate some sacred spot.
The second is a hollow vaulted temple mainly for enshriing the Buddha image. It is square in plan with sometimes projecting porches or vestibules. A series of receding roofs rise above the chapel and finally a bell shaped stupa or curved finial tops the structure.
The style of the Bagan temples and pagodas in its large and prinicpal lines can be traced to north east India but it has characteristics that entitle it to rank as a style apart.
The end of the 13th century witnessed the fall of the Bagan dynasty. Thousands of pagodas were despoiled by invaders and vandals and the King who fled from the Chinese is believed to have dismantled a number of monuments to collect materials for building forts.
Today there is no more than one hundred which attract attention and remain places of worship.
Shinbinthalyaung or recumbent image of Buddha is in a long brick "cave" next to Shwesandaw pagoda. It is the largest of... more travel advice
The Golden Cuckoo Lacquerware shop is well worth a visit not only to buy some quality lacquerware but just to observe... more travel advice
albaaust's Related Pages
Bagan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagan - the fabulous fairyland"
- "Historical wonderland."
- "The enchanting Bagan"
- "BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)"
- "Bagan - indescribable!!"
- "Temples of Bagan - Field of Dreams"
- "Sueño de un Rey-A King Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bagan
- Hotels in Bagan
- Transportation in Bagan
- Nightlife in Bagan
- Restaurants in Bagan
- Shopping in Bagan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bagan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bagan
- 17 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bagan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broome Intro, 35 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cottesloe Intro, 37 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Darwin Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pingyao Intro, 33 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an Intro, 28 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanjing Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues