"Visiting Puerto Princesa" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City by anliz99

Puerto Princesa City Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 1,710 photos

Palawan on a budget

If you are going to Palawan, the minimum should be a 4 days, 3 nights trip. Otherwise, you'll miss out on some of the great places to visit.

I'm putting up this album to help anyone who wants to see the last frontier and who is adventurous enough to do it on their own. Of course, there are always tours and packages available. But if you do this, you're putting a limitation to your enjoyment of the place because you will be on a schedule that you have to abide to. And you'll miss out on the 'adventure' of meeting the local people and traveling with them.

So here goes our itinerary and the costing...

Total Cost: 4d/3n
Airfare - 2,187.36 (Cebu Pacific on a promo)
Accommodation - 1,470.00
Food and tours - 2,636.25
Terminal Fee - 240

Total = 6,293.61

Costing per day and the IT can be seen in the Things to Do tips.

[Update Mar09: Going to Sabang for the Underground River is now easier because they've paved most of rough roads. There's no more danger of being stuck along the way. I think it will all be paved by early next year. So for those who want to experience a bumpy ride, better go now. But as a consequence, there are now more people because of better accessibility. If you do not want to line up a long time, better go there early. You might still do a long wait though.

I again did the Honda Bay tour and just stayed in Pandan and Snake. We did our games in Pandan and the place is really great. Went snorkelling again on both islands and saw more variety of fishes this time. There were BIG fish in Snake Island!

I guess the new experience in this trip is the Mangrove Paddle Boat Tour in Sabang and having my picture taken with a baby crocodile :) ]

[Update Jan 2008: Came back this January and I still had the same if not better experience. I've updated some of the tips and added more as a result of my new trip. I came back as part of a medical/dental mission but we extended our stay to visit Underground River and Honda Bay.As you probably noticed, Palawan still continue to amaze me. Will never get tired of it and I guess I'll just keep coming back for more.]

Places to go, things to do

When you go to Puerto Princesa, you should never miss visiting the Underground River and the Honda Bay. Everything else is icing on the cake :)

[Update Jan08: Because we hired a van to Sabang, we had a great time along the way for stop overs and picture taking especially in front of the huge limestone cliffs. And since I didn't go for the boat tour anymore, I decided to explore Sabang instead. Wow, sure glad I did that. I'll prepare a different tip all about Sabang!

For the Honda Bay tour, we were pressed for time so we only visited Pandan and Snake. Whew, the snorkeling in Snake was marvelous! We were lucky to chance upon a school of jackfish together with some other kinds. It was quite another experience. We were joking that it's not a school but a university because the fishes are really big! I guess words cannot explain the experience. You have to be there to really appreciate the wonder... ]

Entrance to the Underground River

To get to the Underground River, you have to travel 2-3 hours by long bumpy, sometimes muddy road. After that, you can choose to hike for 1-2 hours via the Monkey trail or take a 15 minute boat ride in Sabang.

Either way, the view is quite amazing. I suggest you do the hike going there and take a boat going back.

• Pros:amazing sights, great beach!
  • Cons:lots of mosquitoes
  • In a nutshell:Palawan Paradise!
  • Last visit to Puerto Princesa City: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2009

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2011 at 5:35 AM

Very well written and detailed page. Well done Liza, the details will help the travelers, mosquito repellent is a necessity. I especially liked your warning of danger tip & transportation tips.

• Apr 21, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Ty.. Ur overview & tips were so detailed i fel like im already in the place. Vry helpful & budget oriented. In addition, regarded also for the fine people you have found, very hospitable & courteous tourguides. Thnx a lot for these updated infos..

• lekimumu's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Thank you for being so detailed with your tips! This is by far the most helpful Puerto Princesa page I've read, and not just in VT...Thank you!

• Mar 2, 2008 at 5:20 AM

sonny apsari is also selling pearl im the authorize pearl vendor here in puerto princesa city my place here at the kalui restaurant

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 9:38 PM

how's the turtle soup ?

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Liza, Your tips are well crafted and show benefit of an insider's way of saving money, yet getting a fine vacation. Photo of Starfish island reminiscent of Tahiti. Marvelous page! Doug

• kmohandas's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Your VT page on Puerto Princesa City is marvellous and Your tips shall be of great help to tourists visiting this city.

• samcj's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 4:24 AM

Hi Anliz, great posts.they are very helpful.

• Aug 20, 2007 at 9:22 PM

thanks for putting this info anliz99 - visitpuertoprincesa.com

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Nice tips!

anliz99

“Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time.”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Princesa City

Have you been to Puerto Princesa City?

Latest Activity in Puerto Princesa City