"Ulverston, Cumbria" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria by PippaFoxen
Cumbria Travel Guide: 1,178 reviews and 3,110 photos
OK so living here can be a bit dull, but friends from elsewhere and visitors I've met in pubs love it.
Ulverston has a population of about 10,000, originally farming people and the families that supplied their needs, but increasingly it's the place for incomers who want to leave the rat race and continue their professions via the internet in peaceful and beautiful surroundings. I know that often by the time I'd driven to even the most despised of jobs I arrived chilled and contented, remembering what a fantastically gorgeous place I live in.
In the summer, Ulverston is beautiful. However, summers are short and fickle in the Lake District, so it's best to learn how to enjoy all the seasons! Remember, there's no such thing as bad weather, just weather you're not prepared for!
If you are lucky enough to hit Ulverston during a warm dry spell, head up to Gill Banks. Follow the signs for the Cumbria Way and take a short stroll along the beck, through the stile and across the field to where the beck re-emerges. Soak your feet in the water for a while, or have a picnic, before crossing through the next stile, turning right down the hill back into town.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, friendly, chilled
- Cons:Not a lot to do, lots of rain
- In a nutshell:Inspiringly, breathtakingly scenic
Like Ulverston? Thinking of moving there? Just make an offer, lovely location, lots of light and space. I won't be going... more travel advice
Ulverston market days are Thurday and Saturday. Thursday is the better day, with more stalls and greater variety of... more travel advice
PippaFoxen's Related Pages
Cumbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wasdale -- " My Back Yard " !!!"
- "My County"
- "Where I Live....."
- "Ulverston, Cumbria"
- "Lake Windermere"
- "The Lake District, Cumbria, England"
- "Cumbria (and the Lake District)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumbria
- Hotels in Cumbria
- Transportation in Cumbria
- Nightlife in Cumbria
- Restaurants in Cumbria
- Shopping in Cumbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumbria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumbria
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Cumbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumbria
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Cesky Krumlov Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Cork Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Dresden Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 1 photo
- Barrow in Furness Intro, 1 review
- Chinju Intro, 1 photo
- Namhae Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.