"Fare thee well Enniskillen, ................." Top 5 Page for this destination Enniskillen by wabat

Enniskillen Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 299 photos

....fare thee well for a while.

Perhaps an odd title for a page and for a chapter on a place rather close to my heart. Let me explain.

I was born in the town?s Erne Hospital some years ago now and spent the first 20 or so years of my life in a village just outside the town, completing my schooling in Enniskillen.

I continue to visit on a fairly regular basis.

The words ?Fare thee well Enniskillen,? come from the chorus of a recent Tommy Makem (of Clancy Brothers fame) song (to a very traditional Irish tune) relating the story of a local British Regiment ? The Enniskillen Dragoons ? leaving Enniskillen and heading of to battle in Spain. The chorus continues ?fare thee well for a while?. There was clear intention to come back one day which indeed they did (last verse) - such that:

?---never more we?ll have to say:

Fare thee well, Enniskillen?.?

Perhaps one day the final verse will play out for Wabat.

This song goes thus:

Our troop was made ready at the dawn of the day,
From lovely Enniskillen they were marching us away.
They put us then on board a ship to cross the raging main,
To fight in bloody battle in the sunny land of Spain.

Chorus:
Fare thee well Enniskillen, fare thee well for a while,
And all around the borders of Erin's green isle,
And when the war is over we'll return in full bloom,
And you'll all welcome home the Enniskillen Dragoons.
????
Final verse:
Well now the fighting's over and for home we have set sail.
Our flag above this lofty ship is fluttering in the gale.
They've given us a pension, boys, of fourpence each a day,
And when we reach Enniskillen never more we'll have to say:

Chorus:
Fare thee well Enniskillen, fare thee well for a while,
Etc.

Enniskillen, from the Irish, Inis Ceithlean, is the County Town of County Fermanagh in the south-west of Northern Ireland. It a small, traditionally garrison and market town the centre of which is on a small island between Upper and Lower Lough Erne. Current population is around 15,000.

Some History

1400 to 1689

The town's oldest building is the Maguire's stone castle, built by Hugh the Hospitable who died in 1428 and this forms the basis of the current castle. The castle was finally secured by the English in 1607, after which and in conjunction with the Plantation of Ulster, the Cole family, from Devon, England supplanted the Maguires.

Over the next 80 years the town was developed by the Coles and by 1689 the town had grown significantly. During the conflict which resulted in the ousting of King James II by his Protestant rival, William III, Enniskillen and Derry were the focus of Williamite resistance in Ireland.

Enniskillen and Derry pledged support for William III and a famous Williamite victory over the forces of James occurred at Newtownbulter (close to Enniskillen) in 1689. As a direct result of this conflict Enniskillen developed not only as a market town but also as a garrison, which became home to two regiments - the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and The Inniskillings (6th Dragoons).

James was finally defeated a year later, in 1690, at the Battle of the Boyne ? just north of Dublin. The battle is commemorated to this day each 12th of July by Ulster loyalists and members of the Orange Order around the world.

Post 1689

Post 1689 a relative quietness descended on Enniskillen and the Country of Fermanagh more generally and they faded back into the mists and squalls of Ireland.

Alas, Enniskillen shot to (unwanted) fame again in the 1970s and 1980s when it was the site of several events during The Troubles, the most infamous being the Remembrance Day bombing in which 11 people were killed on 8 November 1987 when an IRA bomb exploded at the towns war memorial, shortly before a Remembrance Day service was due to commence.

Fermanagh had earlier in the 1980?s achieved worldwide fame on another front. On 9 April 1981 the people of Fermanagh and South Tyrone elected Bobby Sands, a member of the Provisional IRA then serving a prison sentence in the notorious Maze or Long Kesh prison, as their Westminster Member of Parliament. Sands, who was on hunger strike at the time died within a month and never took up his seat in Westminster ? most likely he would have not taken it up anyway.

Come to Enniskillen and County Fermanagh

The island town and County Fermanagh have since returned to more peaceful times and are (as they always have been) delightful places to visit. In addition to being scenically beautiful with Lough Erne and beautiful rolling green hills, the town and county have a rich history, afford great walking/caving opportunities, and the people are great, too boot!

Given that nowhere in Country Fermanagh is more than roughly 30 minutes drive from Enniskillen I have included on this page reviews and tips for both Enniskillen and the whole County of Fermanagh.

Follow in the footsteps of Messers Obama, Putin, Cameron, and Frau Merkel who visited Enniskillen in June 2013 (G8 Meeting !) and visit Enniskillen now!

Following a visit to County Fermanagh in August 2015 I have more than doubled the number of reviews on this page and rewritten/fully updated all other reviews.

I invite you to join me now on a tour of Enniskillen and then the remainder of County Fermanagh. Following the links at the end of each review "Next Review ........" will ensure you cover every review on this page.

Lets get started with
- When to Visit Enniskillen and County Fermanagh.

• Pros:More than meets the eye.
  • Cons:Weather can be disappointing at times
  • In a nutshell:My birthplace so hard to be independent
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2015

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Enniskillen looks really great in your tips, Albert and it is a pity I did not see more of it yet in reality than just Boaisland ! Maybe next time !

May 29, 2016 at 1:52 AM

Michael I really appreciate you visit to and ratings on this page and hope you get the opportunity to visit the county again. I highly recommend it but might be a bit biased:-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM

Just got through reading half your page here Albert. Wow! What a wealth of info and nice to hear all about where you grew up mate :o) Interesting old train station and now barber shop. Also liked your tickety moo ice cream tip. Seems like those cows are well looked after :o)
    I'll be back to read more. Hugs, Ann xx

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Great updates and photos. Your extensive work on this page is excellent!

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Sylvia, Thank you for visiting, commenting on, and rating some updates on my Enniskillen page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Albert, you certainly have expanded this great page on your old home town. Fine tips and photos!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Thank you dear Albert for a fascinating and interesting tour through your home town and region :-)) I love the very ancient sights, so magic :))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Fantastic new and updated tips on your excellent Enniskillen page, which I visited 2 years ago for the first time. Although I have explored most of Great Britain and Ireland, Northern Ireland is still a white spot on my travel map.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:09 AM

Holger thank you for revisiting, commenting on and rating my newer reviews on this page.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Hi Albert, This is indeed a very impressive Enniskillen travel page. The destination certainly has lots of wonderful tourist attractions especially those churches, monuments, ruins and castles. We certainly hope to visit Enniskillen one day probably from Belfast or Dublin by bus. Thanks for your virtual tour with fascinating photographs. ~ho & pang

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2015 at 11:31 AM

I remember the Remembrance Day bombing - we were staying with me in-laws at the time and I recall following it all on the TV news with them and being appalled. Regrettably until now that and Bobby Sands were more or less all I knew of Enniskillen, so thank you for showing me its many other sides and its present-day more peaceful demeanor. I especially liked the early Christian carvings etc, and your accounts of the history of this part of Ireland. Great page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2015 at 1:51 AM

G'day, Albert! I can't help admiring your style of writing, your details, tips and photogaphs....Thanks a lot for your input!

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:47 AM

Thank you for reading and rating Victor and for your kind comment.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2015 at 5:36 AM

Lots of fine new reviews here from your recent visit!

wabat Was Born Here!

wabat

“I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RLS”

Badges & Stats in Enniskillen

Have you been to Enniskillen?

Latest Activity in Enniskillen