"Wabat's Page of Ramblings and other Musings" wabat's Profile

Updates, Future Travel Plans and Personal Pages

Page Additions or Updates

January 2015
Work underway on significant additions to and a restructure of my Adelaide page:
18 January - Adelaide by the Sea Loop completed - 24 tips in loop - all new. Follow 'Adelaide by the Sea' link on my Adelaide Page.

December 2014
21 December 2014 Gundagai, New South Wales, Australia 3 reviews added and page finalised - 30 tips.

Late November 2014
- Beijing Page started - 7 reviews at 29 November, 2014
- about 6 reviews (mainly on cycling) added to my Canberra page

All North Korean pages now completed.

25 September 2014 North Korea page finalised - 14 tips.

25 September 2014 Sinuiju, North Korea page added with 17 tips - Page Complete.

13 September 2014 Mt Myohyang, North Korea page added with 9 tips - Page Complete.

23 August 2014 Namp'o, North Korea page added with 7 tips - Page Complete.

7 August 2014 Kaesong, North Korea page added with 12 tips - Page Complete.

22 July 2014 Pyongyang, North Korea page added with 69 tips - Page Complete.

May 2014 Panmumjom - North Korea page added with 15 tips - Page Complete.

May 2014 - updated my train travel page and my UNESCO site's visited page

Feb 2014 -Travelogue Added - Canberra - Canberra Centenary Trail S1 (c)

Jan - Feb 2014 - Semaphore - page and 10 tips added

Jan 2014 Ascension Island 1 tip added and page tidied up a bit

Jan 2014 - Glenelg - page and 11 tips added

Jan 2014 - Profile Page updated - Train Travel Undertaken and UNESCO World Heritage Sites Visited moved to Personal Pages and updated to Jan 2014

Jan 2014 - Travelogue Updated- Canberra - Canberra Centenary Trail S1 (a)

Jan 2014 - Travelogue Added - Canberra - Canberra Centenary Trail S1 (b)

Dec 2013 - Jan 2014 Port Adelaide - page and 20 tips added.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

UNESCO World Heritage sites visited

######################################################

And Now About Me

The age of innocence

At six o'clock in the evening on July 23, 1914 the parishes of Fermanagh and Tyrone faded back into the mists and squalls of Ireland, and a strange light began to fall upon the map of Europe. With the onset of World War I the problems of Ireland paled into insignificance for the foreseeable future.

To this day, long after World War I and World War II, Fermanagh (and indeed Tyrone) remains in the mists and squalls of Ireland. It was thus always with great excitement when on the rare occasions the mist lifted long enough and my bedtime hadn’t passed that at a tender age I would go outside, stand by the dairy wall, and look across the valley at the moon - Sammy’s moon - as it came up from behind the distant hill.

Sammy used to come down from his moon once a year and visit us – bearing gifts of chocolates and bringing with him his wind-up gramophone and collection of 78s. I rarely saw, and even more rarely received, chocolates as a child and only the man in the moon had a gramophone which played, my then favorite tune, – Paddy McGinty’s Goat. I promised myself that some day I would visit Sammy, the man in the moon.

We didn’t just receive visitors from the moon. Two aunts of my father (my grand aunts) used to visit us every year too - aunties May and Mona… our very own Dame Hilda Bracket and Dr Evadne Hinge who came from, I know not where. I will always remember the stir it caused in the village when the village’s only taxi driver picked them up from the Enniskillen bus depot some 15km away, for without doubt his biggest fare of the year. Again they brought me chocolates but alas, no gramophone accompanied them. If I wanted to see a gramophone I needed to go the moon.

It transpired that my aunts came all the way from Bangor, County Down – just outside Belfast and some 130 kms away, much further away than to moon. The moon, of course, I could see from home. After I had been to the moon I would go to Bangor.

It came as a great shock to me one day when Father announced that we would be going to Bangor that summer. I was probably around 7 or 8 at the time and Father announced that the trip would be somewhat longer than the 130kms as we had to avoid Belfast - the infamous ‘Troubles” had started a year or two earlier.

Much preparation ensued – Father, who fancied himself as a mechanic, took the car apart and rebuilt it. It was off the road for weeks but he finally got it together again. The night before the big day Mother made sandwiches for the trip and packed the hamper. We were so excited. It took the whole of the next day to get to Bangor (preparations did not include getting a map!) though we finally got there. I felt sure that my upcoming trip to the moon would be a swifter affair – I would plan it myself.

My grand aunts, getting older, stopped coming to visit us so our trips to Bangor, to see them, increased and we got much better at it. Eventually the car just needed refueling and sandwiches were no longer required. We were getting good at this traveling thing. Trips were added including to the seaside at Portrush and we eventually became brave enough to visit Belfast. “International” trips to Bundoran, Co Donegal and Dublin followed. There was no stopping me now.

From innocence to naughtiness

It was time to go overseas. Of course, living in Northern Ireland that included the British Isles. As luck would have it, out of nowhere appeared an aunt and uncle who lived in London. The big issue in those days was the cost of getting there – this was pre Ryanair and similar low cost carriers – so when we (my brother and I – naturally I wasn’t allowed to go alone) finally persuaded Mother to let us go it was boat and train. I was to become quite at home on the Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead to Euston, London route over the next 4-5 years as many schools holidays were spent in London (purely to see my dear beloved aunt, don’t you know? The trips into the city were just an aside, of course!). So began a custom – maintained to today - that I never pass through London without calling in.

My aunt lives close to Heathrow and one of my favourite activities in London was to visit Heathrow airport. I always headed for terminal 3. Those into political correctness avert your eyes now and go to the next paragraph . Terminal 3 – in those days – had a monopoly of flights coming in from all sorts of exotic places – I would sit there for days and hours on end ogling at black people, brown people, yellow people, people dressed in what looked like curtains, table clothes and all sorts of other things and wearing headdresses I had never seen the like of. Television hadn’t arrived in the Wabat family home at this stage so this was all very novel to me and very, very exciting. While I enjoyed visiting the other terminals too they didn’t hold the excitement of terminal 3. My visits to Heathrow over a period of 5-6 year were, I’m sure, what got me really interested in travel. I needed to fly but for now I had to be content looking at the planes on the ground or at the vapour trails as they crossed Northern Ireland en route the US.

While I don’t go to airports any more, especially Heathrow, for sightseeing purposes, wandering around airports remains a favourite thing. While I like airports and don’t mind flying my preferred method of travel is by train. No doubt, those who know the London Underground – the Tube – will think me mad when I say I developed my love for train travel through travelling on the Tube. There is no other subway system like the Tube – that can be taken any way you like!

Notwithstanding that we went sightseeing, etc alone in London I was still under the supervision of family .. any misbehavior would be reported back to Ireland. I needed some independent travel. Thus arrived time for a prelude to the Naughty Years.

While some adolescents run away from home to get away from family, my running away was done with the full intention of coming back and for what is now called a weekend city break though mine was a midweek experience. One day my brother and I were home alone. It was about 9am and we decided (with no planning or pre-thought at all) we needed a holiday – off course had VT been around we would have sought advice. Bags (including tent) were packed and a note prepared and left on the kitchen table. It read “Gone to Scotland – back soon”!

The plan was to hitch to Larne and take the boat to Stranraer. After that we had no plan – but that was tomorrow’s problem. As we left the house a quick revision was made to the plan - we took a bus to Enniskillen - didn’t want the neighbours catching us and bringing us home! How embarrassing would that have been? All went remarkably smoothly and we ended up in a camp site in Edinburgh before dark where guilt over took us and we rang home. It would be a major understatement to say that Mother was “displeased” and, off course, I being the eldest got the full blame. Apologies were proffered and serious grovelling ensued. A truce was negotiated and we were given 72hrs to get home – this was more than we had anticipated. Perhaps, after all, mother was secretly proud of our planning and organisational abilities and our courage and resourcefulness. However, I wasn’t going to test this theory, – we were home by the appointed hour.

Ready, steady, fly - the naughty years!

The main course

• Intro Updated Jan 18, 2015

• arturowan's Profile Photo
    14 hours ago

Enjoy your Australia Day!

13 hours ago

Thank you Roy, I had a very enjoyable day - including traditional bbq.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    17 hours ago

G'day, Albert! Happy Australia Day! >>>>

16 hours ago

Thank you Victor - had a great day as I hope you have had too.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Yesterday

Hi mate...Happy New Year to you.!!..sorry about being late with best wishes for your birthday as well but was traveling..and when I got back have been down with a rotten virus...but on the mend....trust that your birthday was a blast and life is being kind to you.. cheers and beers...Denny

16 hours ago

Hi Mate thank you for your greeting and sorry to hear you have been a bit down but good to hear you have been on the mend.
      Hope you had a great Australia day ...
      Albert

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2015 at 1:21 AM

Hello hello :-) Heard the grapevine whispering that you'll be on this continent in summer :-))

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Thank you Albert for visiting my Lone Pine page. Some very unique places to see along Hwy 395. Thanks again!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Albert, congratulations on being featured in the VT Spotlight. Well done.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Hey Albert! Congratulations on VT member spotlight for January 2015!! Well deserved!

• HackneyBird's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Congratulations! Well done mate! ;-)

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Congratulations on being featured in the VT Spotlight, Albert!

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Hi Albert, we are featured together this month... Nice to meet you!

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Indeed we did and likewise nice to meet you! I look forward to having a look at some of your pages now that we have 'meet' :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
wabat's Profile Photo

wabat

“I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RSL”

Real Name