"shepherdstown west virginia" Shepherdstown by doug48
Shepherdstown Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 35 photos
the area around present day shepherdstown was settled by virginia colonialists in the 1730's. in 1734 thomas shepherd was granted 222 acres of which 50 acres was set aside for the development of a town. the town was originally named mecklenburg and in 1798 was renamed shepherd's town. in 1775 general george washington issued a call for "virginia volunteer riflemen", captain hugh stephenson formed a company of volunteers from the shepherdstown area. on july 16 th 1775 this company began it's famous "beeline march to cambridge" which covered 600 miles in 24 days. in the 1830's the chesapeake and ohio canal was built on the maryland side of the potomac river just east of shepherdstown. just after the battle of antietam in the civil war every building in town were converted into confederate hospitals. between 1865 and 1871 shepherdstown was the county seat of jefferson county due to war damage to the courthouse in nearby charles town. the shepherdstown historic district is listed on the national register of historic places. shepherdstown is a very interesting place to visit for those interested in civil war and early american history. also shepardstown is a good location to stay on a visit to the nearby historic attractions of antietam and harpers ferry.
ferry hill plantation is located on the maryland side of the potomac just east of downtown. ferry hill was established... more travel advice
mc murran hall today is part of shepherd college campus. mc murran hall was once the county courthouse of jefferson... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Shepherdstown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Family Celebration"
- "noahsdad's new Shepherdstown Page"
- "shepherdstown west virginia"
- "Small Town, great atmosphere"
- "SHEPHERDSTOWN, WEST VIRGINIA"
- "The Battle of Shepherdstown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shepherdstown
- Hotels in Shepherdstown
- Restaurants in Shepherdstown
- Warnings and Dangers in Shepherdstown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shepherdstown
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Shepherdstown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shepherdstown
Photos in ShepherdstownSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues