"jamestown virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Jamestown by doug48
Jamestown Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 255 photos
after the failure of the roanoke colony in north carolina england sent a second expedition to north america in 1607. three ships, the susan constant, discovery, and godspeed commaned by captian christopher newport arrived in the area in may 1607. captain edward wingfield was elected president of the colony and built a wooden fort on james island on the james river. many of the settlers were english gentleman and with their manservents were unacustomed to physical labor. as a result of a poor labor force and the swampy condition of the area many of the original settlers died of starvation and disease. in the period between 1609 and 1610 only 61 settlers survived from the original 500 colonists. the most famous member of the early jamestown colonists was captain john smith. in december 1607 smith and a group of settlers were looking for food along the chickahominy river. smith was captured by powhatan indians and was taken to the chief of the powhatans at werowocomoco. according to smith's writings the powhatan chief was gong to execute him but his daughter pocahontas intervened in his behalf. in 1610 the supply ship the deliverance commanded by lord de le warr came to the rescue of the starving colonists with food and additional settlers. one of these settlers was john rolfe who brought tabacco seed from the caribbean and later married pocahontas. over the years the jamestown colony grew but was plagued by indian attacks in 1622 and again in 1644. the town was burned during bacon's rebellion in 1676. the colony was abandoned in 1699 when the capital of virginia was moved the williamsburg. prior to the civil war jamestown island was owned by william allen. after the battle of williamsburg during union general george mc clellan's peninsula campaign allen fled to richmond. runaway slaves occupied the island and burned the amber house and the jamestown church. in 1872 the island was purchased by edward barney who donated the land of the original colony to the association for the preservation of virginia antiquities.
for those interested in early american history jamestown is a very worth while place to visit when in the williamsburg area.
the jamestown monument was erected in 1907 to commemorate the 300 th anniversity of the founding of jamestown. this... more travel advice
colonel thomas swann lived across the james river from jamestown at swann's point plantation. colonel swann also owned a... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Jamestown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamestown - 1607"
- "jamestown virginia"
- "Jamestown, Virginia 2001"
- "Jamestown - First settlement"
- "Historical Jamestown Settlement"
- "Jamestown - first permanent English colony"
- "Jamestown Settlement"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jamestown
- Transportation in Jamestown
- Shopping in Jamestown
- Warnings and Dangers in Jamestown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jamestown
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (304)
Have you been to Jamestown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jamestown
Photos in JamestownSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues