"fredericksburg virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by doug48
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 581 photos
fredericksburg is located on the rappahannock river in central virginia. a tract of land was patented in the fredericksburg area in 1671. in 1728 colonial governor alexander spotswood created spotsylvania county and named fredericksburg as its port city. fredericksburg was named after frederick prince of wales who was the son of king george II. federicksburg was incorporated in 1781 and was an important early american market and port town. the most significant historic events in the history of fredericksburg was the first and second battle of fredericksburg during the civil war. fredericksburg has much to offer the tourist. fredericksburg has a beautifully preserved downtown historic district with scores of historic homes and buildings as well as an excellent collection of restaurants, bars, and shops. for those interested in early american and civil war history fredericksburg is well worth a visit when traveling on I-95 between richmond and washington d.c.
the most significant events in the history of fredericksburg were the first and second battles of fredericksburg during the civil war. fredericksburg was an important union target because fredericksburg is located half way between the union capital of washington d.c. and the confederate capital of richmond. the first battle of fredericksburg was fought between december 11 th and 16 th 1862. the forces of union general ambrose burnside attacked the forces of confederate general robert e. lee. the union pushed into downtown federicksburg and after several days of urban fighting they were defeated by the confederates. the second battle of fredericksburg was fought on may 1 st 1863 between the union forces of general john sedgwick and the confederate forces of general jubal early. the union captured marye's heights and were ordered west to chancellorsville. on the way to chancellorsville early attacked sedgwick's troops at salem church. after a two day battle sedgwick's forces were defeated by the confederates. both the first and second battles of fredericksburg were decisive confederate victories.
an excellent book about the battle of fredericksburg is "the fredericksburg campaign, winter war on the rappahannock" francis augustin o'reilly. pub: louisiana state university press.
this beautiful georgian mansion was built by william fitzhugh between 1768 and 1771. fitzhugh owned a 1,280 acre... more travel advice
this historic building was built by george washington's brother charles around 1760. charles washington's home was... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northernmost Truly Southern City"
- "fredericksburg virginia"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA"
- "Civilised & Revolutionary"
- "Fredericksburg, VA"
- "FREDERICKSBURG - HISTORY ON THE RAPPAHANOCK"
- "Fredericksburg: a paradoxical city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 32 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (302)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues