"nashville tennessee" Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville by doug48
Nashville Travel Guide: 881 reviews and 2,268 photos
nashville was founded by james robertson and john donelson is 1779. originally called nashborough the town was named after revolutionary war hero francis nash. nashville was incorporated in 1806 and is the county seat of davidson county. in 1843 nashville was selected to be the permanent capital of the state of tennessee. prior to the civil war nashville was a important river port and railroad center. nashville was occupied by union troops in 1862. the economy of nashville suffered after the civil war but compared to many southern towns it's economy rebounded relatively quickly after the war.
the most important historic event in the history of nashville was the battle of nashville on december 15 th and 16 th 1864. after william t. sherman's victory in the battle of atlanta confederate general john bell hood advanced west toward nashville. he attacked the forces of union general john m. schofield near columbia, franklin, and murfreesboro tennessee. union general george h. thomas fortified the southern approach to nashviile and attacked hood's forces just south of town. the battle of nashville was a decisive union victory and contributed to the eventual defeat of the confederacy. sadly today there are no existing civil war sites in nashville. the nashville urban sprawl has grown over the nashville battlefield and no battle sites have been perserved.
for the visitor to nashville there is much to see and do. today nashville is the center of the counrty and western music industry in the united states. nashville is home to the opryland complex, the historic ryman auditorium, and CMT televison network. nashville has scores of historic and architectually significant buildings downtown as well as the broad street entertainment district. just east of downtown is the hermitage which was the home of president andrew jackson. nashville is a very interesting place to visit in middle tennessee.
murfreesboro is an interesting place to visit when in the nashville area. just some of the attractions of murfreesboro... more travel advice
the sam davis home and museum is the birth place of sam davis the "boy hero" of the confederacy. sam davis was a... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Nashville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fan Fair, Katrina, Promotion (in that order...)"
- "Nashville - Music City USA"
- "nashville tennessee"
- "Greg's Nashville page"
- "Two Sides of the Same Coin: Nashville"
- "A Massachusetts Yankee in the Music CIty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nashville
- Hotels in Nashville
- Transportation in Nashville
- Nightlife in Nashville
- Restaurants in Nashville
- Shopping in Nashville
- Warnings and Dangers in Nashville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nashville
- 24 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Nashville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nashville
Photos in NashvilleSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues