Lookout Mountain Things to Do Tips by doug48
Lookout Mountain Things to Do: 19 reviews and 21 photos
rock city is located just south of lookout mountain tennessee in lookout mountain georgia. in the early 1800's visitors to lookout mountain reached the site by mule back. the modern rock city attraction was opened by garnet carter in 1932. between 1936 and the mid 1950's carter painted "see rock city" signs on over 900 barns in the southeast and midwest. today most of these barns no longer exist and have been replaced by "see rock city" bird houses. carter built the world's first miniture golf course at rock city. on a clear day you can see seven states from the lover's leap overlook at rock city. this historic park is a great place to visit when traveling with children.
Address: 1400 patton road
Directions: lookout mountain georgia.
battle of chattanooga museum
the battle of chattanooga museum is located across the street from point park. this interesting museum uses miniture solders on a topographical map to explain the battle of lookout mountain. the museum has a large gift shop that sells civil war related souvenirs.
Address: 1110 east brow road.
Directions: lockout mountain.
garitt's alabama battery
point park and the chickamauga-chattanooga national military park is located on lookout mountain and near by missionary ridge. lookout mountain was the site of the "battle above the clouds" during the second battle of chattanooga in 1863. point park and the cravens house are two battle sites on lookout mountain. for those interested in spectacular views and civil war history point park should not be missed. for a more complete description of the second battle of chattanooga see my chickamauga-chattanooga national military park pages.
Address: east brow road
Directions: top of lookout mountain.
ruby falls is a historic natural attraction located about half way up lookout mountain on scenic hwy (TN 148). in 1928 leo lambert drilled a shaft into ruby falls cave and discovered the falls. ruby falls is the highest underground water fall in the united states. in 1930 lambert opened the falls to the public and named the falls after his wife ruby. since the 1930's ruby falls has been visited by millions of tourists. for those interested in geology and natural beauty ruby falls is worth a visit when in the chattanooga area.
Address: 1720 scenic hwy (TN 148)
Directions: about half way up lookout mountain on TN 148.
east brow road station
the historic incline railway connects chattanooga with the top of lookout mountain. the railway was built in 1895 by john cross. the lookout mountain incline railway is the steepest in the world. the incline begins at st. elmo ave. in chattanooga and ends on east brow road near point park. half way up lookout mountain the incline railway makes a stop at ruby falls.
Address: 3817 st. elmo ave.
Directions: south of downtown.
doug48's Related Pages
Lookout Mountain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roadside America's finest"
- "Lookout Mountain, Tennessee"
- "lookout mountain tennessee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lookout Mountain
- Hotels in Lookout Mountain
- Transportation in Lookout Mountain
- Warnings and Dangers in Lookout Mountain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lookout Mountain
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (302)
Have you been to Lookout Mountain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lookout Mountain
Photos in Lookout MountainSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues