"franklin tennessee" Top 5 Page for this destination Franklin by doug48
Franklin Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 144 photos
franklin is located 20 miles south of nashville in central tennessee. franklin is the county seat of williamson county. ewen cameron built the first house in franklin in 1798. in the early 19 th century the town was founded by abram maury. the most significant event in the history of franklin was the battle of franklin in 1864. franklin has much to offer the tourist. franklin has a beautiful downtown historic district with numerous upscale shops, restraurants, and bars. downtown franklin has several historic bed & breakfast inns and a good selection of moderately priced hotels east of town at I-65. this charming town has scores of antebellum and post civil war homes with many listed on the national register of historic places. for students of civil war history franklin has a number of battle sites and civil war museums. franklin is well worth the one mile side trip off of I-65 when in the nashville area.
the most significant event in the history of franklin is the 1864 battle of franklin. the battle of franklin was part of the franklin-nashville campaign between the forces of confederate general john bell hood and the forces of union general john m. schofield. after the confederate defeat at the battle of atlanta general hood decided to move his army northwest to capture the city of nashville. on november 21 st 1864 hood's army of tennessee left their base at florence alabama and marched toward nashville. on the way to franklin confederate and union forces fought minor skirmishes at pulaski and columbia.
schofield's army reached franklin on november 30 th and immediately began to prepare defenses in a semicircle around the southern half of the town. general schofield made his headquarters at fort granger just east of town and general cox appropriated the carter house just south of downtown. on the evening of the 30 th hood's army attacked franklin.
hood's forces quickly over ran wagner's brigade and pushed the union defenders to the carter house. in the the area around the carter house there was fierce fighting. in the morning after the battle schofield withdrew his troops to nashville and the confederates occupied franklin. the battle of franklin was a pyrrhic victory for the confederates. the confederate casualties were 6,252 men compared to 1,033 for the union. in december 1864 the confederates were decisively beaten in the battle of nashville.
- Pros:one of the nicest towns in central tennessee
the bucket of blood neighborhood was one of four african american neighborhoods that were developed after the civil war... more travel advice
the parish presbyterian church was built in 1849. this beautiful church is one of a number of historic and... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Franklin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "franklin tennessee"
- ""100 years and a few short miles from Nashville""
- "Franklin: This is my town!"
- "susie margaret and franklin, tennessee, USA"
- "Franklin, TN"
- "Franklin Tennessee"
- "basstbn's new Franklin Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franklin
- Hotels in Franklin
- Transportation in Franklin
- Nightlife in Franklin
- Restaurants in Franklin
- Shopping in Franklin
- Warnings and Dangers in Franklin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Franklin
- 16 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Franklin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franklin
Photos in FranklinSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues