"chickamouga and chattanooga national military park" Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park by doug48
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 28 photos
after the confederate victory in chickamauga in september 1863 the union retreated towards chattanooga. the confederates pursued the the retreating army of general william rosecrans and occupied lookout mountain, missionary ridge, and the chattanooga valley. the confederates placed artillery on the heights surounding the city and blocked union supply lines. union commanders in washington ordered general joseph hooker from virginia and general william t. sherman from mississippi to reinforce the city. general rosecrans was replaced as commander of the army of the cumberland by general george h. thomas. union general uylsses s. grant assumed overall command of the defence of chattanooga. the union was surrounded by bragg's army and had to find a way to resupply the city. general george thomas created the "cracker line" from bridgeport alabama to chattanooga. thomas defeated confederate colonel william oates at moccasin bend on the tennessee river. this union victory opened up brown's ferry for a supply of union troops and food. general james hooker defeated confederate general jerome robertson at the battle of wauhatche which opened up a supply line from the southwest. on november 24 th on a foggy day general joseph hooker defeated the confederates at cravens house about half way up lookout mountain. this battle was to be known as "the battle above the clouds". general braxton bragg ordered the defenders of lookout mountain to join his forces on missionary ridge east of downtown chattanooga. on november 25 th general sherman's army attacked braggs forces from the right flank and joseph hooker's forces attaked missionary ridge from the left. the confederates repulsed sherman's attack and general grant ordered general thomas to attack the ridge from the center. thomas' troops charged up the ridge and the confederate battle line collapsed. that night braggs forces retreated back to dalton georgia and the union recaptured chattanooga. this important union victory set the stage for the atlanta campaign and sherman's infamous "march to the sea".
the kansas monument is located on crest road near general braggs left flank on missionary ridge. there is no parking on... more travel advice
located just south of the sherman reservation is the phelps monument. colonel e. h. phelps was wounded here during the... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Union Tries to Sweep the Rebs Out of Tennessee"
- "chickamouga and chattanooga national military park"
- "Civil War Battle in Tennessee"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Holidays"
- updated a Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Travel Page "chickamouga and chattanooga national military park"
- Wrote a Review kansas monument in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "delong reservation"
Photos in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues