"chattanooga tennessee" Top 5 Page for this destination Chattanooga by doug48
Chattanooga Travel Guide: 336 reviews and 719 photos
chattanooga is a city located on the tennessee river just north of lookout mountain. chattanooga is the county seat of hamilton county tennessee. chattanooga was originally inhabited by pre-columbian upper paleolithic, archaic, and woodland culture native american tribes. in modern times the area was inhabited by the mississipians and later the cherokees. the name chattanooga comes from the cherokee meaning "big catch" because of the excellent fishing in the tennessee river. in 1838 the cherokees of the area were removed to oklahoma which opened up the area to white settlers. the town of chattanooga was incorporated in 1839. chattanooga became a mid 19 th century boom town because of river commerce and the introduction of a railroad in 1850. during the civil war chattanooga was occupied by the union and later was the site of the famous second battle of chattanooga. in the early 20 th century chattanooga became an important railroad hub which inspired the famous glenn miller song "chattanooga choo choo". chattanooga's economy declined in the 1970's and 1980's and much of downtown fell into decay. in recent years billions of dollars have been spent to revitalize chattanooga's downtown. new developments such as the tennessee aquarium, the hunter museum, and the chattanooga choo choo complex have brought back tourists to the city.
chattanooga has much to offer the tourist. chattanooga has a redeveloped downtown, civil war historic sites, and famous lookout mountain. today chattanooga is a very nice city to visit when in the southeastern united states.
the most famous historic event in the history of chattanooga was the second battle of chattanooga in november 1863. after the confederate defeat of the union at the battle of chickamauga the union army of the cumberland retreated to chattanooga. chattanooga was defended by the forces of general ulysses grant against the confederate forces of general braxton bragg. after a two day battle the union forced bragg to retreat back into georgia. this important union victory set the stage for the atlanta campaign in 1864. chattanooga has scores of battle sites for those interested in civil war history.
porkers is a very good bar-b-que restaurant on market street in the warehouse district. great tennessee style pulled... more travel advice
an interesting side trip from chattanooga is russell cave national monument. russell cave is located in northeast... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Chattanooga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chattanooga-A Great City"
- "chattanooga tennessee"
- "A Town Reborn"
- "Chattanooga Tennessee"
- "Chattanooga, Tennessee: A City Reborn"
- "Chattanooga aka "ChattaNEWga": Better and Better"
- "Chattanooga - Smaller Metro, but lots to do!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chattanooga
- Hotels in Chattanooga
- Transportation in Chattanooga
- Nightlife in Chattanooga
- Restaurants in Chattanooga
- Shopping in Chattanooga
- Warnings and Dangers in Chattanooga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chattanooga
- 25 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Chattanooga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chattanooga
Photos in ChattanoogaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues