"walterboro south carolina" Walterboro by doug48
Walterboro Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 30 photos
walterboro was founded in 1783 as a summer retreat for low country planters. the area was originally known as hickory valley and the town was named after paul and jacob walter. in 1821 walterboro became the county seat of colleton county. walterboro was a prosperous plantation market town until the outbreak of the civil war. after the civil war a railroad was built between columbia and walterboro in 1888 which helped the local economy. in the 1930's an air field was built new walterboro which became walterboro army airfield in 1942. during world war II walterboro was the site of a army airforce training base and a german prisoner of war camp. today the area depends on tourism from nearby interstate hwy 95. of interest to the tourist is it's charming downtown historic district that offers a number of shops, restaurants, and a couple of museums. for those interested in architecture walterboro was a number of historic buildings and antebellum homes. walterboro is a very worthwhile side trip when traveling on I-95 in east central south carolina.
the slave relic museum is a collection of artifacts relating to slavery and period photographs. a interesting museum to... more travel advice
the walterboro downtown historic district is a very nice place to visit when in east central south carolina. located... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Walterboro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "tini58de's Nostalgia Walterboro Page"
- "walterboro south carolina"
- "Popular Stop Off I-95"
- "1sg's new Walterboro Page"
- "Walterboro, South Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Walterboro
- Hotels in Walterboro
- Transportation in Walterboro
- Restaurants in Walterboro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Walterboro
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Walterboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walterboro
Photos in WalterboroSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (34)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Walterboro hotel reviews
- Howard Johnson Express Walterboro
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Best Western Of Walterboro
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Ramada Inn Walterboro (1245 Snider Highway.)
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Rice Planters Inn
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- SUPER 8 MOTEL - WALTERBORO
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Microtel Inn & Suites Walterboro
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Best Value Inn - Walterboro
- 1 Review & Opinion