"georgetown south carolina" Georgetown by doug48
Georgetown Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 102 photos
georgetown is located at the confluence of the great pee dee, sampit, and waccamaw rivers in northeast south carolina. georgetown is the county seat of georgetown county south carolina. some historians believe that the georgetown area was the first european colony in north america. there is some evidence that the spaniard lucas vasquez de ayllon founded a colony on the waccamaw river in 1526. the colony failed due to disease and a slave revolt. in 1670 the english established charlestown (charleston) as a trading post with local native americans. the european population of the area grew over time and elisha screven founded the town of georgetown in 1729. in the mid and late 1700's georgetown area plantations grew indigo and rice which added great wealth to the town. during the american revolution georgetown was an important port for supplying patriot general nathanael greene's army. following the american revolution rice became the staple crop of the georgetown area. by 1840 georgetown county produced almost one-half of the total rice crop in the united states. at the time georgetown was the largest rice exporting port in the world. georgetown was spared destruction during the civil war but suffered greatly during the period of radical reconstruction. after the era of radical reconstruction the economy of the area turned to lumber production. in 1936 the international paper company built a paper mill in georgetown which by 1944 was the largest paper mill in the world. today the economy of georgetown depends on a nearby steel mill, retirees, and tourism. of interest to the tourist is the downtown historic district and several preserved antebellum plantations in the area. georgetown has scores of historic homes and buildings in the downtown historic district many of which are listed on the national register of historic places. georgetown's river walk has an excellent collection of shops, restaurants, and bars. also there are boating and fishing opportunties on the pee dee, sampit, and waccamaw rivers. for those interested in american history georgetown is a very worth while place to visit in northeast south carolina.
hopsewee plantation is built for thomas lynch jr. in 1740. thomas lynch jr. was a signer of the declaration of... more travel advice
hobcaw barony plantation is located just northeast of georgetown on US 17 north. hobcaw barony was a 15,680 acre... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Summer, 2003"
- "georgetown south carolina"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 14 Georgetown SC"
- "Georgetown: Charleston's Little Sister"
- "Georgetown, South Carolina"
- "Around town"
- "Some Georgetown Scenes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues