"columbia, south carolina" Top 5 Page for this destination Columbia by doug48
Columbia Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 295 photos
columbia is the county seat of richland county and the capital of the state of south carolina. columbia is located on the broad river in the center of the state. columbia was founded in 1786 and was incorporated as a city in 1854. prior to the civil war columbia was a important transportation hub. much of the cotton grown on south carolina plantations was shipped north by rail through columbia. in december 1860 the south carolina secession convention met at columbia's first baptist church. by a vote of 159 to 0 south carolina voted to seceed from the union. during the civil war columbia was a important manufacturing and transportation hub for the confederacy. in february 1865 the forces of union general william t. sherman burned down much of the city. during WWI camp jackson was established in columbia. during WWII camp jackson was expanded and renamed fort jackson. today fort jackson is still an important segment of columbia's economy.
for the tourist there is much to see and do in columbia. columbia has a number of historic buildings and homes in the downtown historic district. columbia is home to the south carolina symphony and has a very nice zoo and botanical garden. the downtown five points and vista areas have a number of good restaurants and lively bars. for college football fans columbia is home to the university of south carolina. columbia is a very worth while stop when traveling through south carolina.
in february 1865 union general william t. sherman's army during the carolina's campaign marched to columbia. columbia was defended by general wade hampton CSA but he was greatly out numbered by sherman's army and surrendered the city. once in the city sherman ordered the destruction of the rail road depot, warehouses, and machine shops. the old state capitol was burned as well as the interior of the new state capitol and "millwood" general wade hampton's mansion. downtown liquor stores were looted by union troops which led to drunken solders setting fire to downtown buildings and homes. some historians maintain that the fires were set by the retreating confederate troops but considering the burning of the interior of the new state house and wade hampton's home one can easly come to conclusion that the fires were set as union revenge. the burning of the cities of atlanta, marietta, and rome georgia, jackson mississippi, and the towns of athens, decatur, and selma alabama also show a union policy of burning towns after they were captured.
the university of south carolina is a very nice place to visit for those interested in antebellum architecture and... more travel advice
the mc kissick museum is located on the "horseshoe" on the campus of the university of south carolina. the beginnings of... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's non-PC Columbia adventures"
- "Columbia: South Carolina's Capital City"
- "columbia, south carolina"
- "A real surprise"
- "Columbia, Capitol of South Carolina"
- "Columbia: A Real Deep South City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbia
- Hotels in Columbia
- Transportation in Columbia
- Nightlife in Columbia
- Restaurants in Columbia
- Shopping in Columbia
- Warnings and Dangers in Columbia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbia
- 38 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbia
Photos in ColumbiaSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues