"charleston, south carolina" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by doug48
Charleston Travel Guide: 834 reviews and 1,860 photos
charleston south carolna is one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the southern united states. charleston began as a settlement at charlestown on the ashley river in 1670. in 1680 the city moved to it's present site on the peninsula between the ashley and cooper rivers. by 1715 charleston was a busy port exporting deerskins, furs, and rice. later indigo and cotton became charleston's major exports. in the mid 19 th century charleston was america's fourth largest city after, new york, boston, and philadelphia.
charleston continued to prosper until the outbreak of the civil war. south carolina seceded from the union in 1860. on april 12 th 1861 confederate troops shelled the union garrison at fort sumter which started the civil war. the city of charleston was under siege by union forces from 1861 until it's surrender to general william t. sherman in 1865. charleston's wealth prior to the civil war allowed the residents of the city to build some of the most beautiful and architecturally diverse homes and public buildings in america.
charleston is a city of neighborhoods, such as the waterfront, charlestowne, harleston village, the french quarter, ansonborough, radcliffeborough, and mazyck wraggbrorough. these neighorhoods have their unique history and architectural styles. along with charleston's historical and architectural attractions, the city offers over 100 restaurants. most of the better restaurants in charleston serve carolina low country cuisine which is unique to the region. near the city of charleston are several antebellum plantations that are open to the public. charleston is a must see stop in south carolina for those interested in american history, architecture, southern culture, and fine dining.
a couple of books worth reading about charleston are,
"the siege of charleston 1861-1865", e. milby burton. pub: university of south carolina press.
i would highly recommend,
"whitness to sorrow", william grayson. pub: university of south carolina press. this book is a wonderful eye whitness account to the history of the south carolina low country from the post revoluntionary period to the outbreak of the civil war.
an excellent guide to charleston is, "complete charleston guide", margaret h. moore. pub: TM Photography inc.
in 1744 daniel horry purchased 600 acres near present day mc clellanville for a rice plantation. in the mid 1740's horry... more travel advice
middleton place plantation was established by john williams in the 1730's. in 1741 william's daughter married henry... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
magnolia plantation gardens
Written May 9, 2016
drayton hall gardens
doug48's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 35 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Photos in CharlestonSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues