"anderson south carolina" Anderson by doug48
Anderson Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 19 photos
the area around present day anderson was originally inhabited by the cherokee native american tribe. in 1777 the cherokees ceded this area to the colony of south carolina. this acqusition was named the pendleton district. the town of anderson was named after revoluntionary colonel robert anderson and was incorporated in 1833. prior to the civil war the pendleton district produced corn and cotton. after the civil war anderson was home to numerous textile mills. due to the innovation of anderson engineer william whitner, electricity could be conducted by wire to mills around the county. nicknamed "the electric city" anderson was the first city in the united states to have a continous supply of electric power. of interest to the tourist is anderson's downtown historic district and the nearby pendleton historic district. anderson county has a number of beautiful antebellum plantations that are a short drive from downtown anderson.
st. paul's episcopal church cemetery is the final resting place of many of pendleton's influencial citizens. interned in... more travel advice
the ashtabula plantation house was built by lewis gibbes in 1825. the home was later owned by gibbes' son lewis gibbs, a... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Anderson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Feels like I'm on vacation"
- "anderson south carolina"
- "Anderson SC"
- "Anderson South Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anderson
- Hotels in Anderson
- Restaurants in Anderson
- Warnings and Dangers in Anderson
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Anderson
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Anderson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anderson
Photos in AndersonSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues