"rhinebeck, new york" Rhinebeck by doug48
Rhinebeck Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 19 photos
rhinebeck new york is located in dutchess county on the east bank of the hudson river about 90 miles north of new york city. this quaint village offers a number of attractions to visitors especially those interested in american history. a short drive from rhinebeck is franklin d roosevelt's home, the home of samuel morse and the vanderbilt mansion. also a great place to visit is the culinary institute of america. not far across the hudson river is the hunter mountain ski resort area. a nice place to visit for a relaxing weekend away from new york city.
pictured is springwood, the home of franklin d roosevelt, the 32nd president of the united states. he was born here in 1882 and was buried here in 1945. roosevelt was a paradox in american history. when he became president in 1933 the united states was in the height of the great depression. he implemented socialistic programs such as the new deal. the CCC, and the WPA inorder to work the economy out of the depression. these programs were very similar to hitler's labor service in germany and stalin's 5 year plans in russia. in 1941 after the bombing of pearl harbour roosevelt changed direction to an all out war economy. he and churchill devised a plan to conquer germany and the third reich and then the empire of japan. this concerted effort won WWII and after the war the united states became the dominate power in the world for the next 60 years. however at the yalta conference the ailing roosevelt gave stalin and the russians concessions that was the basis of the cold war that lasted between the united states and the soviet union until the 1990's. franklin roosevelt can be credited for the united states last war victory in the 20th century, but he will also be remembered for being the cataylist of the cold war and the founder of the socialist welfare state in america.
a couple of good books on roosevelt are: "churchill, roosevelt, stalin". herbert feis, pub: princeton university press. and "roosevelt & hitler, prelude to war". robert e. herzstein. pub: paragon house.
pictured is the culinary institute of america. anyone who loves fine dinning should visit this wonderful site. located between rhinebeck and hyde park on route 9 it is a must visit site for lovers of american and french cuisine. see my resturant tip for reservation info.
the springwood mansion was originally built in 1800 in the federal style of architecture. in 1845 this mansion on the... more travel advice
a very interesting place to visit in the rhinebeck area is the vanderbilt mansion. built in 1895 on six hundred acres on... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Rhinebeck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "rhinebeck, new york"
- "noahsdad's new Rhinebeck Page"
- "Historic town of Rhinebeck"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhinebeck
- Hotels in Rhinebeck
- Transportation in Rhinebeck
- Restaurants in Rhinebeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhinebeck
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Rhinebeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhinebeck
Photos in RhinebeckSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues