"kinston north carolina" Kinston by doug48
Kinston Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
kinston is town located in east central north carolina. the area around kinston was originally inhabited by the neusiok native american tribe. kinston was established in 1762 and was named after king george III of england. kinston was incorporated in 1849. during the civil war kinston was home to camp campell and camp johnston which were two confederate training bases. the most significant event in the history of kinston was the battle of kinston in december 1862. kinston was attacked by the forces of union general john foster from his base in new bern. kinston was defended by the forces of confederate general nathan evans. after the battle of kinston bridge the confederates were forced to withdrawl to goldsborough. the economy of kinston suffered during the period of radical reconstruction and did not rebound until the turn of the 20 th century. in the first half of the 20 th century kinston economy was based on tabacco production. today kinston depends on fiber and textile production.
of interest to the tourist is kinston's downtown historic district, civil war sites, and fishing and boating opportunities on the neuse river.
the queen street united methodist church was established by bishop francis asbury in 1785. the current church was built... more travel advice
in december 1862 the forces of union general john foster left his base in new bern to attack the wilminton and weldon... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Kinston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "kinston north carolina"
- "HStocks's new Kinston Page"
- "Next Door we found Blue October"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kinston
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Kinston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kinston
Photos in KinstonSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues