"asheville north carolina" Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville by doug48
Asheville Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 980 photos
asheville is located in the western north carolina mountains on I-40. asheville is named after north carolina governor samuel ashe and is the county seat of buncome county north carolina. the asheville area was originally inhabited by the cherokee native american tribe. the first european to visit the area was hernando de soto in 1540. the first white settler in the area was samuel davidson in 1784. the settlement was originally named morristown and was renamed asheville in 1797. during the civil war asheville had an enfield rifle manufacturing facility for the confederacy. in early april 1865 the battle of asheville was fought on the site of present day UNC asheveille. the battle of asheville was a confederate victory but later in the month union general george stoneman returned to asheville and captured the town. the economy of ashville suffered during the post war radical reconstruction period and did not recover until around 1910. asheville's economy boomed during the mid 1910's and through the 1920's. asheville's economy declined again during the great depression and did not fully recover until the late 1970's. because of the lack of new constuction during this period downtown asheville has the most comprehensive collection of 1920's art deco architecture in the united states.
asheville has much to offer the tourist. the art deco historic district has numerous shops, restaurants, and bars. asheville is home to the historic vanderbilt estate and the grove park inn. also near asheville is the great smokey mountains national park, the pisgah national forest, and the blue ridge parkway. today the ashville area is one of the most popular tourist destinations in north carolina.
the blue ridge parkway runs through the asheville area just east of downtown. this national scenic highway is 469 miles... more travel advice
hendersonville is a small town located about 20 miles southeast of asheville. hendersonville has a very nice downtown... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Asheville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unique city with the largest house in the USA!"
- "Amazing Asheville"
- "b1bob's edifying Asheville adventures"
- "asheville north carolina"
- "There is so much beauty in and around this place."
- "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out in Asheville!"
- "A Beautiful Mountain City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asheville
- Hotels in Asheville
- Transportation in Asheville
- Nightlife in Asheville
- Restaurants in Asheville
- Shopping in Asheville
- Warnings and Dangers in Asheville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asheville
- 13 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Asheville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asheville
Photos in AshevilleSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues