"the battle of vicksburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicksburg National Military Park by doug48
Vicksburg National Military Park Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 199 photos
the seige of vicksburg was the final military action in the vicksburg campaign and was one of the turning points for the union in the civil war. the fortified city of vicksburg was defended by general john c. pemberton CSA. pemberton only had 18,500 troops compared to union general ulysses s. grant's 35,000. grant surrounded vicksburg to the east with a 12 mile offensive seige line. grant also had gun boats on the mississippi that lobed over 22,000 shells into the town. the citizens of vicksburg were forced to live in caves to avoid the shelling. the seige began on may 18 th 1863 and ended with a confederate surrender on july 4 the 1863. this union victory allowed the union to control the mississippi river and helped set up later victories at chickamauga and atlanta. for those interested in civil war history the vicksburg battlefield park is a must see sight in mississippi.
begining at the park visitor center you can take a 16 mile auto tour of the battle ground. there are 14 stops on the tour and 1330 statues and monuments honoring the divisions and brigades that fought in the seige of vickburg. for a quick look at the battlefield you need a couple of hours. for serious students of this conflict you can easily spend several days exploring this battlefield. my following tips and traveloges will give you a brief over view of this interesting historic park.
the vicksburg national cemetery was established in 1866 for the internment of union civil war dead. in all there are... more travel advice
the navy monument is a 202 foot high marble obelisk which is the highest in the park. the navy monument honors the union... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Vicksburg National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Vicksburg National Military Park Page"
- "the battle of vicksburg"
- "Modern Cave Dwelling Americans"
- "Vicksburg National Military Park"
- "Be sure to spend a few hours here"
- "Hingepin of the Confederacy"
- "A Road Trip During Spring Break"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicksburg National Military Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicksburg National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicksburg National Military Park
- 15 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (305)
Have you been to Vicksburg National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicksburg National Military Park
Photos in Vicksburg National Military ParkSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues