"natchez mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez by doug48
Natchez Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 373 photos
natchez is located on the mississippi river in southwest mississippi. natchez is the county seat of adams county mississippi. the area around natchez was inhabited by the natchez native american tribe dating back to around 900 AD. in 1716 the french built fort rosalie on a bluff over looking the mississippi river. in 1729 the natchez and chickasaw indians attacked fort rosalie and the settlement of natchez and killed all of the white settlers. two years later the french returned to the area and defeated the natchez indians. the leader of the natchez and several hundred indians were sent to new orleans where they were shipped to saint-dominque on the island of hispaniola and sold into slavery. the town of natchez was the southern terminus of the natchez trace which was a trading route from tennessee. for decades the natchez trace was used to transport produce, goods, and slaves to the port town of natchez. once in natchez these goods were transported by flatboat to new orleans. in 1798 natchez became the capital of the mississippi territory and in 1817 the first capital of the state of mississippi. during the 19 th century natchez was an important mississippi port town. cotton produced on plantations in mississippi were shipped from natchez south to new orleans and north to st. louis. prior to the civil war natchez had the highest per capita number of millionaires in the country. after the fall of new orleans in may 1862 during the civil war natchez surrendered to union admiral faragut. this surrender saved the city from destruction. in 1863 union general ulysses s. grant occupied natchez and established his headquarters at rosalie mansion. after the civil war the economy of natchez did not decline like most of the south and remained an important port town until the turn of the 20 th century. in the early 1900's natchez fortunes reversed with the demise of the steamboat trade and the introduction of new railroads. today the economy of natchez is based on tourism.
natchez has much to offer the tourist who is interested in history, architecture, and southern culture. the town of natchez has the largest collection of antebellum homes in the united states. the town of natchez has a number of antebellum mansions downtown and several pre civil war plantations in the area. natchez has casino gambling, and a number of excellent restaurants and bars downtown. natchez is a very interesting place to visit in southwest mississippi.
trinity episcopal church is the oldest church in natchez and the oldest existing church in the state of mississippi. the... more travel advice
holly hedges was built between 1796 and 1800 and is one of the oldest homes in natchez. of particular interest is it's... more travel advice
doug48's Related Pages
Natchez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "natchez mississippi"
- "Natchez: Antebellum Jewel on the Mississippi"
- "The Antebellum Charm of Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Natchez, once the town of the rich"
- "Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Keeweechic's Natchez"
- "Historic Natchez, on the Mississippi River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Natchez
- Hotels in Natchez
- Transportation in Natchez
- Nightlife in Natchez
- Restaurants in Natchez
- Shopping in Natchez
- Warnings and Dangers in Natchez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Natchez
- 33 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Natchez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natchez
Photos in NatchezSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 125 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 104 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 97 reviews, 114 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 98 reviews, 100 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 86 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 49 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 39 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues